Axle?  What the heck is this thing!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help clear this up. I started on the mini truck disc swap on my 71 FJ40. Stripped both sides of the LC axle and found a ball and cup joint on both sides, rather than the birfields I was expecting. I know, they shouldnt be on a 71'. Heres the interesting part, the inner axles appear to have the fine splines on the diff end (identical to the mini truck axle). Possibly a fabrication of a previous owner for some unknown reason? The mini inner axle mates to the diff on the LC axle, I checked. Now, Ive checked several sources (manuals and websites) and it should have coarse splines with the ball and cup or fine splines and a birfield.

Heres my delima, Im trying to figure out my next move. How do I tell what year my front axle was produced? &nbsp:Do I need 30 spline differential side gears, the 30 spline inner front axles, and the axle housing from a 68 or newer Cruiser or just some fine splined inner axles to mate to the mini birf? Seems like I may have all of that except the inners? Anyone got a set of trail spares they might be willing to unload?

Im lost! Thanks for the help.

Could try to post some pictures later if that would help.

I could be mistaken, I think the ball style axle had a brass bushing for a seal between the gear oil and grease of the hub. where as the birf has a axle seal. which is in your axle? If your axle has fine splines inners, could be a PO hack job

Folks, I appreciate the help. Sounds like I have some kind of hybrid axle as far as I can tell. Probably just be easier to go with a new 68+ model than try to rig mine up to work.

Back on the road in no time.

Sounds like someone resplined some ball and cup axles to 30 spline. Like 3-puppies stated you should see if it has a brass bushing or rubber seal inside the housing at the knuckle end. If it has a rubber oil seal then you could go find regular cruiser inners and run mini birfs and knuckles. It may requires some grinding in the knuckle, but you prolly already knew that.

If it has the brass bushings you will either need to find a replacement knousing 68+, or if you want you could remove and replace just the knuckle balls from a mini axle. I did the later on one I had and worked will since I was going SOA and needed a cut and rotate anyway.

HTH

Pretty much something like this ...
45869089803_0_ALB.jpg

Hard to see in this picture but it definately has the fine splines on the end of the inner.

After closer inspection, I do have the brass bushing and not a seal. At least the one I got in my seal kit matches up with the one on the truck axle and looks nothing like the one in the LC. Probably just go with a new housing and inners assuming I can get them for a reasonable price.

Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom