Axle Trusses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know where to buy pre-cut, pre-formed trusses? Bought a 62 front per Kurt W's recommendation of being stronger, & wonder how far I should go in making sure the housings won't bend under any imaginable conditions (just break other components).

Vaguely recall seeing some in a catalog couple years back, but can't find them now.

Alternatively, what gauge & type of steel in case I have to get creative?

1/8 to 1/4" square tubing would work fine. But honestly, you probably have nothing to worry about..

That's really what I was looking for. Maybe a chromed bolt-on setup with lightening holes.

Just how high to you jump it?

I haven't actually heard of someone breaking their axle housing... so it is tough to say how much reinforcement "isn't enough". I'll go with the recommendation above that 1/8 wall tubing should be plenty tough. Probably more than necessary.

Nothing to worry about. I have plenty of air time in my 60 and never had any problems. My Ford with a 9 inch rear has bent time and time again. Toyota makes some really tuff parts.

Dynosoar said:
Nothing to worry about. I have plenty of air time in my 60 and never had any problems. My Ford with a 9 inch rear has bent time and time again. Toyota makes some really tuff parts.

I want to see pictures (I'm not doubting, just want to see it)!

FJ62 should already have a truss on the bottom, but another isn't a bad idea.

I have seen plenty of bent axle housings... 40's, 60's, etc including my last one that was ~1/2" out of wack. The last issue of Crawl Magazine had a pic of a trussed mini-axle (one of the PIG guys?) that was bent like 6" :D

As for the truss, I use 3"x3" ~5/16" tube and cut the truss out accordingly... Do it :cool:

speaking of trusses.....

would it be better fabbed up on the top of the axle? instead of the bottom, taking away clearance?

jim

Jimbo -
The 62 truss is under the axle (front only) I'm guessing because putting it on top would interfere with clearance using the stock suspension & would also complicate the vent.

So I'm going to make a pattern from my 62 front , fab the truss out of 1/8" mild steel, bend it, & have you weld it on my FF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom