Axle tech help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I bought a pair of early axle housings because they are already set up for SOA, disks, cut & turned. I want to know if its possible to take all of the stuff from my '76, and put it into these housings? Or, could I just buy all the bling parts (inners, outers, lockers, etc.) and plug them in? Or is there not enough of a market for worthwhile parts for the early axles? Right now, they are looking like a great winter project, just want to know what everybody else thinks. Thanks for the help.

Please define early...

if they had fing birfs in them, then your stuff will work just fine in them..

Good luck!

-Steve

right now there is nothing inside of the early style axles. But I have everything inside of the axles under my truck now (DD) I just wanted to know if I could swap everything over or not, or build up the spare axles with newer, stronger parts (chromoloy, etc). So birfs can either be from the '76 or bought new.

I believe that as long as they are '68 or newer, everything like axles, knuckles, and 3rds should swap over fine. Depending on the actual year of the "early" housings you got, you may have to make some brake line changes. That should be an easy check, just compare to what you have now and see if they are same of different. If different, you may just need to drill and tap a new hole for the brake line "T" and plug the old hole in the housing.

I would purchase a front end knuckle rebuild kit at a minimum.

If you build up "spare sets of complete axles", you will need to purchase a lot more stuff like 3rds, knuckles, arms, spindles, bearings, etc, etc.

alright, just found the written specs (its been a while), so here is some info about them: out of a 72 FJ 40, cut and turned with caster set at 4* and pinion at 10*. They were set up with mini-truck knuckles (But i was thinking about getting some of those six bolts when they come out) rear third, no carrier. So, tell me what you think, thanks ahead of time. :)

76BigheadFJ40 said:
alright, just found the written specs (its been a while), so here is some info about them: out of a 72 FJ 40, cut and turned with caster set at 4* and pinion at 10*. They were set up with mini-truck knuckles (But i was thinking about getting some of those six bolts when they come out) rear third, no carrier. So, tell me what you think, thanks ahead of time. :)

thank you for answering the question... ;)

Swap away. You may need to open up the knuckle to get the new Longs in there..but that would be about it.

:beer:

Six bolt knuckles should be a good deal....I am hoping that treeroot gets going on the photochop like he did with the Orion....

Good luck!

-Steve

cool, thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom