Axle swap vs knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Opinion based question but going back and forth on best solution. Working on a 1975 FJ40 that was put into a ditch years ago. As a result the steering linkage and leaf spring is bent. Could have frame issues too but haven't got it onto a rack yet. I picked up a 1977 for front axle and steering linkage but it has a Saginaw conversion so doesn't have what I need. The axle look fine but it has been opened up at some point as it has RTV around the diff. I did confirm it has stock gear ratio.
Now the question, would you take the whole axle or just swap knuckles out? Thanks!

If the '77 has a different pinion flange than a '75 the driveshaft won't fit. If they are the same then don't see an issue with swapping whole axle.

If the new axle needs a knuckle job, I’d just swap knuckles to existing housing. Agree on driveshaft flange differences, potential brake line routing differences.

They definatley need a rebuild. I was concerned the axle house might be bent as well. Are these sturdy enough that is not a concern? One of the bump stop plates is bent over but visually that is all I can see. The 75 axle has 60k miles and hasn't been opened by the looks. As for drive shift flanges and brake lines they are the same out to the hose connection.

If there is a question that your housing is bent, I'd swap frt ends. If you bent the stop you really twisted the knuckle to the limits. When your doing a knuckle rebuild you can pull the 3rd and check it out. If you don't like what you see you can swap in your 3rd member.

With that said I may just swap the 3rd if it's not too intricate.

Depends on a couple factors: time and needs of the cruiser.

If the cruiser needs attention I’d be tempted to swap the whole axle in and fix more pressing issues first. Then you can rehab the axle as time allows. I’m a big fan of getting it driving and rehabbing in small bites. ( I need to listen to this advice as well.) steering arms are lot easier to swap than knuckles.
On the other hand, if the cruiser simply needs a spring and steering issues addressed- I’d be more likely to tear the axle apart and assess the conditions. If the front axle has been opened up and it has a saginaw conversion (high steer?), then it may have a locker of some sort. This would be great offroad, but debatable on road.

Bump stop plates ? Do you mean the steering stops ? if so it is pretty common for those to bend .

In my opinion , if the leaf spring got bent from an accident then there is a good reason to believe the axle housing is most likely bent as well. Toyota housings in general are prone to bending where the leaf spring supports the weight.

Decided to swap the axle. Have a bearing and seal kit on its way and going to knock it all out at once. As for the 3rd member, the disc brake axle has a locker installed which is good but when i.pulled the drain plug it had some pretty significant metal build up. So, out with that 3rd and swapping the original 3rd into the 1977 housing. Tore down the disc axle today and that was more of a job than expected but ready to rebuild now.

20221107_152624.jpg

20221107_143628.jpg

20221107_143625.jpg

20221103_111248.jpg

20221103_111240.jpg

Found some damage inside one end of the axle. Anyone ever seen damage like this and should this axle be used?

20221108_081415.jpg

Yep, at some point a birfield or 2 or more was broken. My guess there was or is a locker in the 3rd member.

Agree with @pb4ugo

Clean it up with a die grinder and as long as you can get a seal in the end, run it.

What is the condition of the birfs that were in it. Are they stk or alloy?

What is the condition of the birfs that were in it. Are they stk or alloy?
It came out hard but visually looks fine. Stock I think but not sure how to tell.

20221108_095009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom