axle sandblasting question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys
I'm new to the fj world and not to familiar w the terminology used when referring to certain parts, so bear w me. I just picked up a set of fj62 axles for my project, they are going to get a complete over haul bearings seals ect. I figured I'd have them sandblasted. I am wondering if the balls at the end of the front end (area where the turning of the knuckles pivots on) can get sandblasted? Will sandblasting that surface effect any seals on that ball?
Thank you
Mike
Once again sorry I couldn't be more specific w the proper terms.

welcome to the madness

If you are removing paint, there should be no problem.
I would not remain there too long.

People go over the balls with a wire-wheel to smooth and de-rust, I would think media blasting would not be a good thing.

I personally would want to leave a smooth surface finish there so the seal works nicely. It seems like a sandblasted surface would eat a seal faster than a smooth shiny one.

Mine were pitted pretty bad anyways so i went ahead and blasted them.
I then painted them with the same Chassis Saver paint i did the frame with.
Multiple coats, sanded between to help fill in the pits and scratches.

Second if they're smooth and shiny then mask them off. If they're rusted and pitted then you'll need to find a way to make them smooth after you blast them. I painted and sanded balls/bells on the housing currently under my Mini-truck. Got them smooth, no leaks in ~1500 miles so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom