Axle Rebuild (sandblasting) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be pulling the front axle housing off next week and my intentions are to sandblast it prior to priming and painting.

My questions are as follows:

Since I'm going to cross-over steering is it worth my time to cut off the existing brackets for the steering stabilizer and torq bar?

I'll be doing this with the 3rd attached. Are there areas I shouldn't sandblast because it will do more harm than good? I already plan on shielding the knuckle ends.

Or should I not even bother sandblasting and hit it with a wire wheel slap on some POR-15 and call it done?

POR15 on an axle to me would seem to be a bit of PITA. Cleaning it up enuff to paint, then the cleaner then the Metal Ready stuff then POR15 then a top coat paint cuz the POR fades.....

I'd say a sanding disk and wire brush on the angle grinding then it with some zero-rust and/or some Rustoleum hardhat paint. Hit with tow or three coats and go.

If someones looking at that close run over 'em!

I would agree with Mike. I just cleaned mine and sprayed it with some Rustoleum. Whatever you coat it with is gonna get scraped off anyway. :D

Cut off the torque rod bracket if you're going to a hy-steer setup. As for the steering stabilizer, I left mine on and used it as a attachment point for a stabilizer that I installed for the hy-steer.

Sandblast an axle? Uh.. Hardhat epoxy paint and wire wheel and your done! Simple and cheap. it's not a show truck or restoration! you'd spend as much on that sandblasting as you would on knuckle kit with bearings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom