Axle rebuild mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My nieghbor and I have been rebuilding my axles following the FAQ. He has the mechanic experience and I have been assisting. I mainly doing the cleaning. We have one side back together. But we missed a step. He packed the birf with fresh grease, but we didnt pack the housing unit. The part the looks like a kettle.

Can I just fill it with grease through the fill port? Or do I need to tear it back down and repack it?

Dunno, I used a film of grease in mine that NOWHERE resembled the amount that I removed...

Only time will tell. (yes, fill port should do it IMHO)

I did the same mistake, I put 2 full tubes in through the fill port with out it coming back out. We got the grease warm first by setting it over a heat vent. Then pumped it in. I see no reason why this way would not work.

Sounds like Im going spend some time with my grease gun. Good thing I live in Sunny AZ no need to warm grease here.

All of the surfaces should ideally be coated in a thin layer of grease. The ball-housing should be partially filled with grease, the birfield packed with grease.

It takes about 4 lbs of grease to do a front end properly...

And use MOLY-fortified grease.

~John

You'll probobly have to fill, drive it for a while, and fill again. (get the air out..)

I firgured id be filling a few times

Ok i think I may have made another mistake. I packed my bearings with molly grease. Did I screw up?

Doesn't sound like you were following anything in FAQ's. It's pertty clear what to do in that thread.

Personally, I would take it apart and do it right.

But, in the end, it is your rig. Do as you please.

Roller bearings should be packed with multi-purpose lithium grease per the FSM. I have read that moly grease WILL cause premature failure so it sounds like its time to call a do-over. The good thing is it will go a lot faster this time and no need to pull the axle again.

I used Moly-fortified multi purpose grease for: Disc brake wheel bearings/ steering linkage/ Chassis/ Suspension/ Universal Joints Did I screw up?

Ok i think I may have made another mistake. I packed my bearings with molly grease. Did I screw up?

What brand? The reason that I ask is some brands (Amsoil ???, Valvoline ???) state their moly fortified grease is OK for use in wheel bearings. Personally, I wouldn't put it in my wheel bearings on purpose, but I'm not sure that I would redo a front axle service if that was my only "mistake" and if the grease manufacturer states their moly grease is OK in wheel bearings.

Your call though.

-B-

Valvoline

I guess the good news is I havent done the passenger side yet. So I know better this time. Im still worried that Ill be able to gwt enought grease in through the fill port.

Valvoline

I don't think I would do a "do-over" if I had used Valvoline Synthetic moly-fortified grease in my wheel bearings. Others may disagree. That is a good grease.

When you are doing the other side, carefully note how many tubs you use to get the knuckle cavity to ~3/4 full after you have greased all the other bits like the birfield. Then go back and add that same amount through the fill hole on the top of the knuckle housing. That will get you close enough.

-B-

Cool Thanks!! Now if I can just figure out how to sepperate my birf from my axle. I think I usderstand the pipe trick. How does it go back together?

I found that a plastic wire tie around the circlip works best. There are pics of this in one of Raventai's posts.

-B-

I don't think I would do a "do-over" if I had used Valvoline Synthetic moly-fortified grease in my wheel bearings. Others may disagree. That is a good grease.

-B-

I actually use that grease for everything on a birf job. On purpose. My truck hasn't lost a wheel bearing. Yet.

-Spike

Spike, did you see my post in CSC?

Yup, but I'm buried under projects, helping a friend fix his house, helping my MIL fix her house, fixing my house, and I'm behind on PM for every vehicle I own. I'd love to help but I can't.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom