Axle Rebuild Complete...Almost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well in spirit w/ the wrenching weekend I stayed up til 2AM on Saturday night and was up bright and early Sunday to complete the axle assembly.

axle3.JPG
axle.JPG

It took me awhile to figure out how to reinsert the axle into the birf w/ that pesky inner snap ring. I also spent a considerable amount of time modifing my snap ring pliers so that I could install the out snap ring.

I'm not super confident I got the wheel bearing preload set right. The FSM wasn't real clear on what to do, so I just followed Roger Brown's instructions. Which was basically to tighten the inner axle nut to 43lbs rotate 4-5 rotations forward and back...loosen nut...rotate 4-5 rotations forward and back, repeat. then tighten down to 21lbs.

The fish scale shows it takes 30lbs to rotate. Does that seem right?

After this experience, all I have to say is I never want to do this on the trail ;)

That sure is pretty looking. Nice work.

30 lbs sounds about right. It will feel stiff with out the tire on but with the tire it will spin better.

Matt

WOW. Nice shiny new parts.. Now let heather drive it, it'll never look the same again!

The only new parts are the rotors and steering arms. It sure was nice finally putting some stuff back together.

Seems a shame to put that axle under my rusty POS ;)

I used the procedure that I used on the 80. IIRC, it's tighten to 47 ft-lbs, then spin forward & backwards 3-4 times and and then loosen and retighten to 47 *in-lbs* and install the locking nut and torque it to 47 ft-lbs.

30 lbs drag sounds too high. Should be around 6-12.

Ranski said:
It took me awhile to figure out how to reinsert the axle into the birf w/ that pesky inner snap ring. I also spent a considerable amount of time modifing my snap ring pliers so that I could install the out snap ring.

I martacked my axles so that I didn't have to mess with the outer snap ring. :D I'm snap ring challenged, I guess :crybaby:

On my first axle rebuild, the oil seal (that the spindle slides inside) got folded when I slid the spindle on which resulted in too-high of drag on the spindle. Bob's right about the amount of drag you should be seeing. That'd be the 2nd thing I checked after verifying the torque on the big nut.

Before you reinstall that axle (or at least before adding gear oil), get a diff protector. I dented my front diff at Disney last year. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to cause contact with the ring gear! :eek: I just put this one on. http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm
rockplate2_500.jpg

HERE'S THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT IN TECK SCHOOL.
TIGHTEN DOWN GOOD AN TIGHT. BACK OFF. THEN TIGHTEN WITH THE WEIGHT OF YOUR HAND. JUST A SMIDGE MORE. LOCK IT ALL DOWN. THIS WORKS ON EVERYTHING. FROM CARS TO BIG TRUCKS & TRAILERS.
I THINK THEM ENGINEER FOLKS MAKE THIS WAY TO COMPLICATED.

C Ya, Don P.

I'll plan on pulling everythig off and check the oil seal...put everything back on - then try Don's method.

Bob thanks for the heads up on the diff armor. I'll defintitley do that.

Dmidlfing4 said:
HERE'S THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT IN TECK SCHOOL.
TIGHTEN DOWN GOOD AN TIGHT. BACK OFF. THEN TIGHTEN WITH THE WEIGHT OF YOUR HAND. JUST A SMIDGE MORE. LOCK IT ALL DOWN. THIS WORKS ON EVERYTHING. FROM CARS TO BIG TRUCKS & TRAILERS.
I THINK THEM ENGINEER FOLKS MAKE THIS WAY TO COMPLICATED.

C Ya, Don P.

I've had good luck doing this. I did it by hand way before I had any scales to measure and havn't had a problem.

Matt

Don's right on. I tighten enough to take all the play out and then a bit more, rotate a few times to smear the grease around, then back off and tighten to hand tight, zero free play, plus a touch more.
Much like adjusting valves, it's sort of a feel thing.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it another go this weekend and then have Erik give it a look see when he is here welding up stuff on the front end.

Mmmmm Catholic School girls! Such memories of my younger years... Oh.. Wrong forum!
Looking forward to helping you ger er done!

And yes.. I will admit I have learned a lot from Don and Chef.. Not all of it Good! or stuff I really wanted to learn but I learned a lot regardless..

Other pics of your project?

Bob_Garrett said:
Before you reinstall that axle (or at least before adding gear oil), get a diff protector. I dented my front diff at Disney last year. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to cause contact with the ring gear! :eek: I just put this one on. http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm

ORDERED...Thanks for the tip Bob:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom