Axle Parts Compatibility: 10/1990 HDJ81 & 1997 FZJ80???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon everyone!! Here is what I have going: I purchased a rolling chassis from a 10/1990 HDJ81 RHD because I wanted the 3rds which have OE electric lockers and Nitro 4.56:1 gearsets. I am planning on deleting my ABS from my 1997 and using the parts from the HDJ81 chassis to obtain the coveted 3xLocked title.

Right now, I plan on taking the entire rear axle from the HDJ81 and rebuilding the entire thing and putting it under my 97.

I would also like to take the 3rd from the HDJ81 front axle and plug it into an LHD OE locking 3rd housing with the hopes of bolting all of my 1997 front end parts to that front axle housing. So far I think I can pull this off but before I start buying everything under the sun to rebuild both axles (hub to hub) I would like to tap into this knowledge base to make sure the parts from my 1997 FZJ will bolt on to the HDJ axle housing as well as the factory OE locker housing for a stateside LHD 80 series.

1. Is it possible for me to take the rear axle housing from the HDJ81, strip it down and use all of the parts from my FZJ80 to get it up and running? (Can I just bolt on all the brakes, sway bar,
Suspension, E-brake parts to the HDJ housing even though it is 7 years older?)
2. It looks like the rear axle bearing and seal kits are the same for the FZJ and HDJ rear axles? FJ80 FZJ80 HDJ80 HZJ81 Axle Bearing Kits Rear Full Float 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 - Landcruiser Parts - https://manafrelv.com/product/rear-axle-bearing-kits-full-floating-axles-01-90-1997-fj80-fjz80/
I want to confirm that I can order a rear FF rear axle bearing/seal kit like the one I plugged in here and it will be alright?
3. Will any front OE electric locker axle housing take my 1997 parts?
4. Am I humping the couch here? Should I just take both axles from the HDJ81 and slap them under my FZJ or is a retro-fit the way to go here?

Hope everyone is having a good day!!

hey I do not think you can use the axle from the HDJ81 on the FZJ80 without modifying the rear panhard which is on the driver side of the FZJ80. you will prob have to cut and weld that back. I do not know if the axle is also flipped since the hdj81 is right hand drive so a mirror of the left hand version suspension

Good afternoon everyone!! Here is what I have going: I purchased a rolling chassis from a 10/1990 HDJ81 RHD because I wanted the 3rds which have OE electric lockers and Nitro 4.56:1 gearsets. I am planning on deleting my ABS from my 1997 and using the parts from the HDJ81 chassis to obtain the coveted 3xLocked title.

Right now, I plan on taking the entire rear axle from the HDJ81 and rebuilding the entire thing and putting it under my 97.

I would also like to take the 3rd from the HDJ81 front axle and plug it into an LHD OE locking 3rd housing with the hopes of bolting all of my 1997 front end parts to that front axle housing. So far I think I can pull this off but before I start buying everything under the sun to rebuild both axles (hub to hub) I would like to tap into this knowledge base to make sure the parts from my 1997 FZJ will bolt on to the HDJ axle housing as well as the factory OE locker housing for a stateside LHD 80 series.

1. Is it possible for me to take the rear axle housing from the HDJ81, strip it down and use all of the parts from my FZJ80 to get it up and running? (Can I just bolt on all the brakes, sway bar,
Suspension, E-brake parts to the HDJ housing even though it is 7 years older?)
2. It looks like the rear axle bearing and seal kits are the same for the FZJ and HDJ rear axles? FJ80 FZJ80 HDJ80 HZJ81 Axle Bearing Kits Rear Full Float 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 - Landcruiser Parts - https://manafrelv.com/product/rear-axle-bearing-kits-full-floating-axles-01-90-1997-fj80-fjz80/
I want to confirm that I can order a rear FF rear axle bearing/seal kit like the one I plugged in here and it will be alright?
3. Will any front OE electric locker axle housing take my 1997 parts?
4. Am I humping the couch here? Should I just take both axles from the HDJ81 and slap them under my FZJ or is a retro-fit the way to go here?

Hope everyone is having a good day!!
If you have the VIN from both trucks, go to www.partsouq.com and pull up the parts list for each and you can see what will interchange.

Passenger side drop just like my FZJ80. I will check out Partsouq and see. Cool idea.

20220530_152003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom