Axle leaking into hub, I just repacked bearings, how far can I drive before bearings are destroyed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I might have to make a drive to Tulsa. 750 miles round trip towing 4,000lbs. Don't know if I will have time to fix my axle seals before I have to go. Life is crazy right now.

Will 750 miles be too much for freshly packed bearings? The axle leak seems pretty bad. I'd love feedback.

I fully understand this is not the optimal way, but want to know what you guys think? Option is to rent a tow vehicle at a cost of about $800.

Option: anyone want to loan their tow rig, or provide the tow? Again, don't laugh at the questions, I'm sort of stuck in a tight spot. Tow will occur Sunday May 19th back late on the 20th.

are you able to keep 80-90 weight in axle, or is it really leaking out that quickly?

Front or rear axle?

Sight unseen I'd say go for it. My 94 leaked for a long time before I ever dug into it, way more than 750 miles. The question is do you have backwards contamination? What I mean is, is your gear oil getting soupy because it's contaminated with grease? After the 2nd time doing axle seals on my 94 I came to the realization that my plugged diff breather was causing the axle to over pressure and contaminate with the birfield.

Thanks Halk K and all. Leak seems pretty bad. Repacked passenger front bearings and the next weekend I went to replace studs and it was full of gray soup. Not sure if it's letting bearing grease back into axle? Hope not. Not sure I was going to have time to repair before May 20. Update.... the car I was going to haul for a "tune", well, the engine has been destroyed and is being rebuilt now by my son and his shop friends. I will check my breathers! I will closely monitor loss of gear oil. I plan to do a complete axke/hub rebuild and fix the axle seal, swipes, etc. I might have time now? I will report back on what I find. Rig has been parked since this posting except for short trips around town. You guys are awesome! The feedback is most appreciated!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom