Axle Id (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,
My pig seems not to have the stock axles, which from what I have gathered is most likely a good thing. I was wondering how to tell what axles are in it. Is there an ID number or specific marking that I can look for?\
Thanks for the help.
Dan

I have heard that the earlier axles were not as strong, so I am hoping that whoever swapped in the axles used the later ones

Here is the best I can do for pics

Last edited:
last one

Last edited:
IIRC '69 ought to have fine spline inners and course outers. If you pull the front hubs and look outer splines to see if they are course or fine.

Well from those pics I don't see anything that leads me to believe they arent toyota axles, but those arent the best pics ever either. As for the earlier axles being weaker the course spline birfs are a lot weaker but they changed in 69 I think so depending on when exactly yours was built you would be ok. If you really want to know I think the inside of the diff has a teq symbol on it you could just pull the cover off. I will check on my spare diff later today.

Those are definately Toyota axles. What there are out of I can't tell. Does the truck have disc brakes up front?

Drums on the front. Sorry for being axle stupid, but what is the knuckle pattern?

Also, I suspect that these aren't stock because the rear has Junkyard paint pen on the flange, and both have SOA perches welded on, but the rig is SUA.
Thanks,
Dan

knuckle pattern, ready sing along with me,,,,

the knuckle bones connected to the, steering arm, the steering arms connected to the, tie rod,, heh, the 4 bolts that hold the steer arm to the top of the axle is what you want, it doesnt really matter though cause those are cruiser axles and with drum its gonna be small pattern, they are either 40 or 55 axles, unless you have 70 series which would be way odd. cant tell in the pic but does the rear axle have ears for the sway bar?? if so they are 55 axles, if not 40 series. i cant for the life of me figure out the swap though??

ps, could still be stock axles, p.o was gonna SOA but didnt, rear cover only could be from parts yard. maybe

RHINO said:
ps, could still be stock axles, p.o was gonna SOA but didnt, rear cover only could be from parts yard. maybe

Could have gone SOA and didn't cut and turn. The steering scared the hell out of him so he went back.

On a side note are 40 and 55 axles interchangeable? they look awfully close.

It does have the swaybar ears, so I guess they are 55 axles, I'll check tommorow to see if the splines are coarse or fine. Thanks for the info.
Dan

it really seems like these are the stock axles to me.
40 and 55 axles are the same through the years except for the sway bar ears, and i believe that goes for 45 as well.

One explanation Dan is that the truck could have been SOA at one point, but by going to the V8, they had to put the axles in the original configuration due to extreme driveline angles created by the use of the three speed. They could be junkyard axles, either from a 45 or 55 since they have sway bar tabs. If they are 45 axles, then it would be possible they are from an earlier model, which means they could be ten spline.

Could the marks be from servicing the differentials? I think they're stock axles with some other marks on them.

Well here is what I found: The knuckle pattern is indeed small and the outer axle is a six spline. That is the coarsest splined axle I have ever heard of.
My next question is how weak are these axles? Will they take a good beating with 31x10.50s or do I need to be extra carefull. My 350 isn't a hot rod, but it is pushing a few more ponies than the F that came in this rig. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Keep your tires in a straight line, you'll be fine. Lots of people still running these (I have a spare course spline birf you're welcome to as well.)

Of course, you did blow a 7.5" diff in your T100 recently...

Let me know when you want that birf. :flipoff2:

I have actually thought about running the course spline birfs my self due to the surplus of door stops around my house :rolleyes:

I know lots of people running the coarse birfs. You still have small tires so its not a real big deal even with the extra hp.

Well, I guess it isn't too bad then :D I'll have to be little less liberal with the throttle I suppose. Brian, Popping the front end up in 4L with the throttle hammered is not something I plan on doing in this rig, or my T100 ever again. I think the only truck that it is safe to do that on is a solid axle mini. Thanks for all the information.
Dan

Brian, I'd love to have that birf, I can come by whenever is convenient, or you can bring it by if you still need to fine tune those valves.

BTW the 4x4 club is going down to pierce to a "OHV" area on sunday. I can't go but it should be a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom