Axle housings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any difference if I use a 64 front axle housing for a cut and turn job than my stock 78 fj40?Can I put my 78 innards into the 64? Are parts interchangeable?

The studs that hold the diff in could be a smaller size (8mm) than what is used on your 78 housing(10mm).

The area that is machined in your '78 housing to hold the inner axle seal, or birfield seal, is a bronze bushing in your '64 housing, so this area would need to be changed to accept the axle seal.

And then we have the birfield joint clearance issue inside the knuckle. This area would need to be opened up in order to use the axle shafts from your '78.

Anything can be done, but I do not see this as being the most desirable housing to use. I would try and find a housing that is closer to your year, or at the least, a '69.

Where are you located? I may have a housing..I am in MN.

-Steve

Proffits Cruisers has a post for these in the vendor section.

Not to Hijack, but does anyone know the specific difference in stud size from the various years. Were 8mm and 10mm the only two sizes or are there others?

I have a 3rd that has smaller holes than the '79 axle housing...need to drill'em out.

Thanks

I got tired of this sitting on page 4.

I really would like to know if I need to just drill these out to the 10mm size or if there are other sizes to consider. Don't have anything to accuratly measure them with.

Thanks

if all axles come in 3.90 xcept for 62's why not just use the old housing and innards? just wonderin because Im gettin an extra 60 and will swap parts when things go south like broken axles and trans stuffs.

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=7223;start=msg62550#msg62550 date=1068705416]
I really would like to know if I need to just drill these out to the 10mm size or if there are other sizes to consider. Don't have anything to accuratly measure them with.
[/quote]

I've only seen two sizes ever, so I believe your assumption is correct.

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=7223;start=msg60291#msg60291 date=1068227466]...Were 8mm and 10mm the only two sizes or are there others?...[/quote]

Yup, only the two sizes I have ever seen.... drill away.
:D

[quote author=cruiserka link=board=1;threadid=7223;start=msg62562#msg62562 date=1068715028]
if all axles come in 3.90 xcept for 62's why not just use the old housing and innards? just wonderin because Im gettin an extra 60 and will swap parts when things go south like broken axles and trans stuffs.
[/quote]

Not all axles came with 3.90's... 78' and older all had the 4.10's as well :D

he he he

smack downs for everyone :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom