axle greese (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
alright i know is been said before but i cant find it and i have another question. from what i gather every one recomends a moly greese for the birf repack why is this? i understand that it has a higher melting point is this the reason? if so why not use a moly-graphite greese which i understand has an even higher melting point? Also about how many tubes of greese should i get to do the front axle repack? and how much for the rear?

thanks
mike

I use it because the factory specifies moly for the birfs. Dunno if moly-graphite exceeds what they want, or if there's some quality to it they don't want in this application. So, I stick with the type they recommend, but use synthetic.

In terms of tubes, that's a difficult call because it's best to use tubs as you won't be squirting it in, but hand packing with a spatula or your fingers. I think I used 1.5 tubs (standard size like all stores carry) for each side of the front axle (3 total for birfs, then). Then the wheel bearings get a different grease and I think 1 tub will do all four wheel bearings.

CDan recommended a Castrol Durablend with Moly. The part number escapes me. Its easier to find it in the tubes. I used Mobil 1 Synth (red stuff) for the bearings.

I'd buy 4 tubes of Moly that should leave you an extra tube. Its always good to have extras.

Molybdenum Disulfide is not about melting point, it is an extreme pressure additive, it has an affinity for steel and tends to plate steel parts allowing steel parts to slide against each other without ever touching.

RavenTai said:
Molybdenum Disulfide is not about melting point, it is an extreme pressure additive, it has an affinity for steel and tends to plate steel parts allowing steel parts to slide against each other without ever touching.

well it still seems to me that a moly graphite wouldd allow for better sliding and as i understand it can haddle higer pressures as well? not fighting any one and will use what you guys say but curious non the less.

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom