Axle gear ratio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to install ARB lockers in my 70. Currently running SB350, SM420, 3psd tcase with 4.11 gears and 33" tires. I am planning on upgrading to 35" tires in the future. What would you guys recommend for axle gear ratios? Should I stay with the 4.11's or switch to 4.56's? I do not know how street driveable it will be with 4.56's and 33" tires. I am sure once I put the 35's on it would be better. Unfortunately, 35's are quite a ways out... my 33's will be on this for awhile. This rig is not a daily driver, but does need to be driven to the trails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Last edited:
I run 2F, H41, 3spd, 4.88s.
Could cruise quite happily at 60mph (limit here) on 35s.

Your call - depends how low you want to go...
For a trail rig I would, even consider 4.88s, depends on how far you drive to get to the trail...

i also think you are fine the way you are. unless you are a serious rock crawler then i would consider the 4:56 or 4:88 if you go 35's the sm420 and its granny 1st gear and the low range of your 3sp case should be fine with the V-8 for most situations. good luck!

All the trails I run are within 2 hours drive time. Rubicon and Fordyce Creek are my usual stops. I ran SB350/420/3 spd/4.11s with 35x14.5 swampers on my last rig and it seemed to crawl fine. A little lower would not have hurt, my main concern was being to low for freeway speeds with the 4.56's and 33" tires. I have a couple years of tread left on the 33's before I upgrade to 35's.

Hi All:

"FMan," I think you'll be fine with 4.11 gears and 35 inch tires (especially if radials.) With that SM420 tranny you already have a good gear reduction - the 4.11s are strong and will allow good highway speeds.

Regards,

Alan
Seatle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom