Axle crack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gotbezel.com
Anyone seen this before :confused:

cracked_diff_housing.jpg

I'd say that ranks as a first for me.

You been taking it off any sweet jumps?

nicely done :D

drain the diff, brake clean the area, grind a groove down the crack, brake clean it some more, and weld 'er up....

strange spot for a crack tho.....very strange.....

Never heard of a crack there or anywhere on the 80. Strange.

Say, what's with the yellow paint around the filler plug??

DougM

This is a picture of my axle housing that JT has posted here, in order to solicit some response.
I have not been doing any jumping with it, and I don't know what the previous owner(s) had done with it. The crack had been repaired before I got it, as was evident from the poor welding.
It had cracked on me once before, and I did an arc welding repair on it (hence the red tape over the brake cable), but clearly not good enough.

This problem does not appear to be unique, on one of the other fora I subscribe to, there are a number (at least 3) other 80's that had similar problems.

I have never heard of that before either. Strange.

Out ZA crowd is growing here on IH8MUD. Welcome to the forum Fritz.

Bongani, I've been here a while with Ih8mud, just never posted before. This is only my second post.

Maybe the stuff we drive down in ZA is just so much tougher, that these type of stress failures only occur here? ;)

What Woody said, but center punch the ends of the cracks and drill through the axle housing 1/8" 3/16" diameter before you grind and weld it. This will help stop further crack propagation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom