Axel vents continued (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I spent about an hour sifting thru the fittings at napa with no luck. Thought I found something but the threads are to big... anyhow found that out after removing the original breather. Going to see about tracking down the "union" #9040451026 at the dealership and if not Ill just stick a tube on the old breather.
I did notice when I was under the truck this morning that at some time I did get water in at least the front axel. Some evidence on the knuckles and in the breather itself.
Question is whats the best way to flush the system?
Figure ill pull the diff housing but not sure how to get the gunk completely out of the system.

Peace
Neal

Damn...thats the 3rd part number Ive seen! Ah well better to have too many than not enough, Im going to check first thing tomorow. Ill update after I get back!!!

I thought that someone posted up a Nissan # a long time ago here or on pirate that was a hose barb specifically for this application....

Cannot find the thread....

I just take the cap off them and put a line with a hose clamp around it. Works fine, though isnt bling.

-Dustin

Mark of Marks off Road sells them. They fit merfectly I have them. he is 65swb45 on this board.

i work at a john deere dealership and the new john deere fourwheelers have an enclosed rubber accordian-shaped breather. it expands and contracts as needed and you don't have to run any hose or worry about it hanging up on brush or limbs. haven't put them on yet, but i bought a couple for my cruiser.

nissan doesnt fit the 40's

Poser said:
I thought that someone posted up a Nissan # a long time ago here or on pirate that was a hose barb specifically for this application....

Cannot find the thread....

i've got one sittin in my g-rage they have a different thread size, the nissan part will fit a mini axle.
i pryed the vent cap off my breathers and clamped a hose to it.
once you get the cap off, there is just enough tube to but a hose on it.

Are you the guy from H-Burg? I think I remember that from your last post. If so, I added vent tubes to my 40 just for these nasty little mud holes and stream crossings right off of 33, west of H-Burg.
I went to Lowes and bought ~12ft of the cheap 3/8 ID air line. I popped the cap off of the vents and secured the airline with hose clamps and RTV (being careful not to plug it). I ran the front up under the hood and tie wrapped it to the driver side fender. I ran the rear line back to the far corner of the passenger’s side quarter panel, up through the grommet for the marker light wire and terminated it in the cab.
Unfortunately, due to “mechanical frustration” I have not been able to test how well these work. If I were to do it again, I would use a more flexible hose (like rubber).

If you are looking to do something a little more elegant, check out vents form a JF80. My 80 has nice hoses coming from the axels with the little capped vents on top. SOR lists these used for $4. There isn’t a picture or diagram so I would call them to make you are getting what you want and that the threads are the same.

Cheers

Years ago I had this problem on my p-up. I went to the grocery store and purchased a three pack of nipples for a baby food bottle. I put some RTV on the base and slid them over the breathers. That solved the problem and they were a great conversation piece.

I pulled the cap off my breathers and drilled them for a 1/4" barb fitting and soldered it into the breather, attached to some 1/4" vacuum line and was good to go.

Ed

i just retapped 1/4"npt and run a brass nipple with 5th wheel slider hose to the frame...from there it goes to an air line with other breathers and to a oil cap breather behind the heater.
P6170001.JPG

The PIC's

Yeah I’m the guy from H-burg....

So here’s the deal went to the Toyota dealer and he concluded that the part no's from the other thread are still valid but neither have a barbed fitting on the end. However when he did a search for 79+ it gave a part no. for a barbed fitting on the rear axel but not the front.

Decided that Id take the easy route out and just pop the caps off the original breathers and run lines from there. After a quick run across town to get some hose I started in.

Well upon removing the breather from the rear axel there was the dreaded "hiss"!!!
Yeah that biach was gunked so bad the rear was actually under pressure after only about a 5 mile round trip.
Jumped in the car and ran to Napa... no breathers there but luckily auto zone caries enough ricer stuff I found one not too big. Snagged some tube and clamps at Ace and I was on my way.

Here’s what I came up with!!!

Last edited:
Oh yeah snaked the rear line thru the frame up to the front pass fender. Then up the fire wall tied both of the tubes to a T just behind the bracket in place of the stock speaker housing.

jcj_78FJ40 said:
Are you the guy from H-Burg? I think I remember that from your last post. If so, I added vent tubes to my 40 just for these nasty little mud holes and stream crossings right off of 33, west of H-Burg.
I went to Lowes and bought ~12ft of the cheap 3/8 ID air line. I popped the cap off of the vents and secured the airline with hose clamps and RTV (being careful not to plug it). I ran the front up under the hood and tie wrapped it to the driver side fender. I ran the rear line back to the far corner of the passenger’s side quarter panel, up through the grommet for the marker light wire and terminated it in the cab.
Unfortunately, due to “mechanical frustration” I have not been able to test how well these work. If I were to do it again, I would use a more flexible hose (like rubber).

If you are looking to do something a little more elegant, check out vents form a JF80. My 80 has nice hoses coming from the axels with the little capped vents on top. SOR lists these used for $4. There isn’t a picture or diagram so I would call them to make you are getting what you want and that the threads are the same.

Cheers

I used Lowes Vinil hose nice and flexible and a hose clamp, ran from the rear axle to the middle between the tranny/tcase and tranny hump then up in the cab I haven't found a location yet but I think somewhere behind the dash would be good the front axle will be going the same way.. I wonder if I open the drain plug on the pumpkin and un compressed air through I can flush it and then use the same hose to fill it up .. :rolleyes:

why...it's quicker through the huge fill hole in the rear cap.

I thought of using the compressor to help blow out the oil and gunk too. Not sure on the filling process being that you only really need to fill up to the filler hole! Seems as though itd work ok.

BTW... Thanks for responding to the actual question in the first post!!

nuclearlemon said:
why...it's quicker through the huge fill hole in the rear cap.
well you can do it the lazy way from inside the cab :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom