awnings off a roof rack suggestions and pictures please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I am starting to head away from using my trailer (for the time being) and finished strengthening and restructuring a roof rack that my wife bought for me at all places, Pep Boys. It’s a great deal for 45 bucks, especially after I welded on some additional cross braces and aux. side lights. It will attach directly to my roll cage for topless fun and I still need to fabricate some gutter mounts for when the top is on.

My plan is to get a standard size plastic tarp (5'6" X 7'6"s) from Harbor freight. I’ll keep two or three extra ones in the rig for replacements and for emergency repairs to keep off the ground or cover gear when needed for weather protection. I was thinking about making two arms off the driver's side of the rack and have the tarp roll up into a 6' 75" diameter hollow tube. While driving, it would be rolled up and tied with some type of rope.

When camped, I would be able to unroll it and use 2 tent polls, stakes, and rope to hold up the end farthest from the cruiser. I haven’t figured out how to attach the tarp to the tube besides tying the tarps grommet rings to the tube. Suggestions?

My other thought was to get some military grade oiled cloth that is used for their big troop transports. (just gotta price it)

Does anyone have any homemade awnings that work in conjunction with a roof rack that they mind posting before I get started? I want this to be a low buck solution, but I can pretty much fabricate up anything that I want as long as I can see my goal ahead of time.

Thanks!

you can go with the tarp and tube idea, make a cut length wise down the tube, and the end of the tarp staying there attach a pipe to it, this will keep ip from coming out of the tube, and give you something to wrap the tarp around. then stick inside the tube and cap the end. Position the tube with the slit down, and you dont have to worry about water staying in. Ofcourse this idea is in my head and hasnt actually be tried, though it should be shortly.

I like the link and under 90 bucks isn't too bad, but will probably try the idea of slitting the pipe and running the tarp in it for a home brew kit. Since I am the type that wants to try to make something first and see if it turns out ghetto or not, I'll try that before buying a whole set up. Thanks for the suggestions.

wow $89 amazing deal.

I have been thinking alot about this very thing lately. I was trying to think of a way easily cover the back and sides of a 60, for cooking on the tailgate, shading the interior for hot mornings, and keeping out rain and even bugs. One of the ideas that my brain came up with is a scissor-action frame for each side that goes at an upward angle to provide headroom (two scissors, one going up, another back down maybe). The canvas sections could zip together with huge zippers, and even have roll down bug screen sides... bug screen is super light. If it was all attached right, I was thinking the scissors would be able to pull the canvas in and out quickly and easily.

I know this is not a PVC pipe sort of construction, but the kind of things I'm thinking up are those that can easily be built by a monkey with a welder... they're easy to find where I am. I would think you could make it with wood... maybe bamboo?

slick let us see what you come up with, i hope to do something in the next couple of weeks

Not the best picture...
1.jpg

Here's what I built on my Sammi. Alum. foldout rafters that attach to the roof rack and then cover with a tarp. I ran out of time when heading to Moab so I just used cord to tie it to the frame. I'll add snaps to make it faster to install and tear down. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here's what I built on my Sammi. Alum. foldout rafters that attach to the roof rack and then cover with a tarp. I ran out of time when heading to Moab so I just used cord to tie it to the frame. I'll add snaps to make it faster to install and tear down. Good luck!

Can I see a close up of the hinges forthe swing out arms?

I don't have any close-ups...I'll try and get some this week and get them posted.

BTW. I use a bungee cord in the middle to keep the water from pooling and it's nice not having ground lines to trip over....but, it's small and when it's windy it flaps like a sail. I'm in the process of building my roof rack and will include a much larger version on my 60.

The Sami's is essentially how Hannibal works, except the canvas ends in a sewn hoop the rod (Sami's angle iron) passes through, and is the exact length for a tight fit. Velcro straps sewn onto the canvas edges that wrap around the side arms tension things tight for wind. A cover is sewn onto the canvas with additional velcro and compression straps to roll everything up for travel.

Has zippers sewn onto edges for walls. Very good design.

Esh is correct....that was the base of the design, except I built it out of alum. Here's some pictures of the mounts and hinges. The first one is the front. The second is the rear and is pinned so the front out rigger can be tucked under the outrigger. I did t his because of the length of the outriggers. If they're both short then you won't have to do it this way. The blue bag on the RR holds the canvas top . Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for hte posts. If you have the chance, post up how you attached the canvas too :)

Saw This at the United Four Wheel Drive associations Wheelin in Virginia a few weeks ago.

Fernando is a great guy and usually willing to deal.

would have to be really sturdy to withstand serious winds if cantilevered like the last pic above....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom