Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decided to step up to an MPPT charge controller. My old PWM one is only about a year or two old and is doing an excellent job AFAIK, but for the price, and the fact that it's designed in the Netherlands and built in India as opposed to being another rebranded Chinese unit, I went for it to complement my new fancy power tilt! LOL
Lets see how many amps we can get out of the sky now!
I tell ya the sun won't know what hit it.

Rather than ramble on let me just post up the links and you can check out it's awesomeness yourselves.

Victron BlueSolar 75/15

Amazon.com: Victron BlueSolar 75/15 MPPT Charge Controller - 15 Amps / 75 Volts: Electronics

And all the many things you can do with it through your phone:

BlueSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15 & 100/15 (12 / 24 Volt + load output) - Victron Energy

I know there are other units you can control charge voltage, charge amps, temp compensation, etc, and keep a statistical log for 30 days with, but not I think for $99.

51S1OtEHSmL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW I use the 100/30 variant with the BT dongle to my iPhone and like it.

That is a nice option! All the reviews say it's smaller and thinner than the alternatives, which would make it easier to mount.

@spressomon I would love to see the iphone display in a real world use-like camping off the grid somewhere. Is the app downloadable from the appstore?

I read through the manual and it says the absorption voltage is adjustable, but it doesn't say how. Is this possible, and does the software explains how?

I read through the manual and it says the absorption voltage is adjustable, but it doesn't say how. Is this possible, and does the software explains how?

Yes, you can adjust from the app side in Settings. Or leave on Auto to default to any one of 7 pin settings via a rotary dial on the controller. #7 is what I'm using (LiFePO4 algorythm).

IMG_0393.PNG
IMG_0394.PNG

Last edited:
One thing to note is that all the remote options are not available on the smaller units (I assumed as much) but the important stuff IS included, like a 30 day history record and best of all the adjustable charge voltages. I saw one once that was adjustable but then only turned out to be adjustable downward in voltage, not up. This I'm glad to say goes both up and down.

Getting good flow today with the new 100w x 2 panels.

IMG_0418.PNG

So if you adjust up the absorption voltage a bit and then unplug the dongle, does it stay at the new higher voltage you specified or does it default to 14.4?

Must be cool in Reno today @spressomon as your panels are close to spec!

Last edited:
Stays.

-----------------------

Newest report...

Today I watched as the sun came up and it took a long time for the charger to get it's 18V to switch on. My PWM lit up as soon as the sky was blue.
But then what it did was absolutely idiotic, when it finally got the 18v and switched on, at about 6:45, that dropped the panel voltage below 18V which made it switch off again. On - off, on - off, on - off, it went like that until I just got tired of watching it and turned my phone off.

Do all MPPT's do this?

Oh yeah... at about noon I checked and in Float mode the panel wattage was between 1 and 2 watts. (100W panel) So then I switched the stereo on which pushed wattage to between 20-30W with spikes to 36W, and put the charger in Bulk and then Absorption.

'.

Last edited:
^ what was the static voltage of your battery when this occurred?

I have one on the way.

Stoked to get it going.

Thanks @spressomon and @JCruse

Going to get one before the May trip. It will be fully tested by Rubithon.

Anyone interested in a perfectly good Ecoworthy 20 amp MPPT charge controller, I'll make you a half price deal on it.

Amazon.com : ECO-WORTHY 20A 12V/24V MPPT Solar Charge Controller Solar Regulator 15-30% More Power : Renewable Energy Charge Controllers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

3-stage charging algorithm, impulse, bulk and float.

What is "Impulse"?

As a side note I'm gonna miss the Desulfation feature of the Batteryminder. Supposedly one of the best according to reviews. I don't know if it worked, I wanted it as a prevention feature, but that sure is one stout, quick and effective little charge controller! The electronics box and the thick heat sink where each the same size as the other. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it now but I'm definitely not going to sell it.

^ what was the static voltage of your battery when this occurred?

It was a fully charged Lifeline 31XT, so around 13.3. I believe the CC was showing around 13.7 but it was of course on Float at the time.

Here it is day 5 or 4 and a half and I've so far got a whopping total of 100 Wh.

What's that like 10Ah? LOL

Last edited:
A fully charged battery isn't going to need much Wh to maintain it. What loads are on it?

@JCruse you probably already know this but, at least with the Victron 100/30, it will not initiate current flow if the battery to PV is <5v. Once initiated/flowing it will flow at 1v differential.

Yep, on the way too.

Going to need some improved efficiency to run this:

IMG_0481.JPG

I think this is a mid 80's-90's Norcold/Engel/Sawafuji. Says Made in Japan by Sawafuji. A guy had it on Craig's for $100 and I've been wanting a second fridge. It looks barely used and the guy I got it from said his parents had it for a few years in an RV.

Interestingly, while the modern Engel version of the same runs at 2.7 amps when running, this one runs at 5 amps. So it's a bit of a power hog. @TrickyT though it might be due to improved magnets over time. Cools perfectly well though on both 120V AC and 12 volts DC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom