For Sale Awesome '87 FJ60 Diesel Conversion with 37" BFG's, ARB Lockers and Armor, NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We purchased this vehicle (aka: Silver Surfer/Toyozu/Bruno) in March for a seven month trip around North America. It has been fun, but time to get back to work. This 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser has an Isuzu 4bd1 diesel conversion with a Chevy Turbo. It is a great bug out vehicle, adventure mobile or company logo car. It is great on the highway and averages almost 25 mpg and a compliment a day (seriously). Two shops specializing in off-road vehicles said this was one of the best conversions they had seen. It has AC, sound deadening throughout, alarm, storage compartments, seat heaters and much more. The odometer reads 217k, but it has less than 3k on the rebuilt engine and transfer case. In the last four months we have spent over $14,000 on upgrades, repairs, and maintenance. Sale includes this incredible Land Cruiser, a complete CVT tent system, Hi-Lift Jack, Jerry cans and other accessories. Basically hop in and go on an adventure.

Recent upgrades and repairs include:
Newly rebuilt engine, June 2016, under WARRANTY until December 2016;
Newly rebuilt transfer case by Iron Pig Off Road;
New Rancho XL9000 Shocks;
New slave cylinder;
New clutch master cylinder;
New KC fog lights;
Newly painted rock sliders, tire and jerry can holder, and roof rack;
New front brakes 4k ago;
New pioneer front speakers;
All new fluids and filters > 3k ago (oil 600 miles ago);
Heating core, radiator, and power steering were flushed in June 2016;
Rebuilt injectors and gaskets only 35k ago
New H55F transmission 35k ago
Rebuilt steering box 12k ago
Rear brake job 12k ago
Alternator 12k ago

Upgrades:
4.88 gearing with ARB front and rear air lockers (full-floating rear with upgraded 10mm 100-series flange bolts)
Marlin high steer
Longfield axles
37” BFG All-Terrain Kos – includes full size spare
ARB front bumper with Warn winch
Rear swing-out bumper with tire and (TEQ labeled) jerry can carrier
WagonGear tailgate lid and side panels
Rear sliding windows
Tuffy center console
Snorkel
Rock sliders
Roof rack
CB radio
1000W inverter & 12v outlet in rear
Sound deadening throughout
Fan controller
3-point rear seat belts
Map Light
Isolated dual-battery with controller switch, Sears DieHard batteries

Additional Equipment
CVT Rooftop tent, vestibule and floor
CVT Ladder extensions
3 Jerry Cans
Hi-Lift Jack
Tow Rope
2 shackles
1 trailer hitch recovery d-ring
2 chairs
1 aluminum table
Water hose
50ft. extension cord
small shovel
flashlight
Other misc. equipment

The following link on IH8MUD has details on the build of this 60 Dirtgypsy goes SOA

Known problems: as shown in pictures (see dropbox link) there is faded paint on the hood/fenders and several small dings/dents around the body, three small cracks on the dash, driver-side mirror as spider crack, a small rip in driver's seat, and a few other small blemishes. I have tons of receipts, the original Toyota owners manual, and the 4BD1 maintenance manual.

Car is registered in North Carolina and is presently located in Charlotte. Apparently because of the conversion there has been some registration issues with this before (see 1987 Land Cruiser Diesel (4BD1t) toyota 5speed - Colorado - Expedition Portal) so please make sure you can register the car (or don't care) before putting in an offer. Thanks for looking!

Link to more images and videos. Dropbox - 87Cruiser_Diesel_FJ60

For Sale- $19,750
Cruiser001_MG_0263.JPG
Cruiser004sm-7836.JPG
Cruiser005sm-7842.JPG
Cruiser006sm-7837.JPG
Cruiser019sm-7860.JPG

That there's a "Rembrandt" of a 60! More pictures are definitely a must...

why was the engine rebuilt - in the previous build the engine was rebuilt as well. Those Isuzu motors should easily last 300-400k miles.. What gives?

Man this rig has made its rounds on the forum. One important mod that you forgot to mention is the 1-st gen Tacoma 5-speed shifter nob! I think I'm gonna swap the one from my Taco to my cruiser depending on which one I'm driving :smokin:

Anyways... Good luck with the sale, I used to idolize this rig when I was 15 years old and the original owner was building it up. Influenced a lot of the paths that I took when I was building my own rig and I have been supper happy.

Last edited:
...said that before noticing the Dropbox link:rolleyes:
:)
Man this rig has made its rounds on the forum. One important mod that you forgot to mention is the 1-st gen Tacoma 5-speed shifter nob! I think I'm gonna swap the one from my Taco to my cruiser depending on which one I'm driving :smokin:

Anyways... Good luck with the sale, I used to idolize this rig when I was 15 years old and the original owner was building it up. Influenced a lot of the paths that I took when I was building my own rig and I have been supper happy.
Thanks so much.
Same question. Thx.
Before going up into Canada I had the Cruiser's engine looked at by Interstate Diesel Equipment Services in North Kingston Rhode Island because the lead mechanic (Frank) has worked on these engines for over 20 years. After checking all of the engine components he said that cylinders 1 & 4 had failed because of an error in the rebuilding. Also, pointed out that the springs on the upper unit (head?) were loose. Thus, we had it shipped the upper and lower units to Simplex Engine and Machine (Simplex Engine & Machine) and had the units machined and replaced all springs, valves, etc.

Sorry about the terrible grammar at the end. For convenience here are pics of what the engine looked like when we got the upper and lower units back.

Cruiser060sm-1043.JPG
Cruiser064IMG_1098.JPG
Cruiser066IMG_1125.JPG
Cruiser068IMG_1128.JPG

How would you compare the power of this rig VS a 2F, or an LS if you have driven one

Can you elaborate on road manners please, specifically rpms, noise, handling and mpg at interstate speeds, say 70 mph? Thx. Any thoughts on how it might be different with 35 inch tires on it instead of the 37s? Thx!

How would you compare the power of this rig VS a 2F, or an LS if you have driven one
Unfortunately I am a newbie to the Land Cruiser world so I can't provide any comparisons. I will say that it has plenty of power. When we did an off-road safety course in Uwharrie National Forest it conquered the 45 degree or more, rutted, hills no problem. There were Willys, Rubicons, modified Four Runners and other 4x4s; and the LC rambled up and over obstacles with no issues when other vehicles struggled. We actually did half of the course in two wheel drive without any issues.

Can you elaborate on road manners please, specifically rpms, noise, handling and mpg at interstate speeds, say 70 mph? Thx. Any thoughts on how it might be different with 35 inch tires on it instead of the 37s? Thx!

The LC drives really well on the highway and off road. RPMS: It's tough to gauge the RPMs because the tacometer has never been hooked up. If it helps, it has some torque on it so starting in 1st you generally don't have to press the gas, and I shift to second around 5 mph, third around 20, fourth 35 and fifth at 45-50. NOISE: The engine is pretty loud, but the sound deadening does a great job. For example, we can listen to cds and have a conversation without having to crank it up or shout. HANDLING: It handles really well on the highway. I think its best speed is 65, but it handles great at 70 and we have been on Interstate Highways a bunch without any issues. MPG: We averaged 23.8 mpg coming down from the Northeast to Charlotte, and we had the truck loaded and the tent and traction boards on the roof. TIRES: I don't have the knowledge to say how 35s would be on the truck, but I would think they would be fine. I believe there is a picture of the LC with 35s floating around out there. Hope this helps!

The rig drives way better and has way more power than the stock 2f engine. You can speed out of the way of people and go up hills with no problems at all. When I had this rig it never crossed my mind needing to go faster or wishing it had more power at All. When I had it it also did not have a steering stabiliZer and it didn't need one at all. It drove very straight down the road and like current owner is saying you can drive it on the highway without any issues or being annoying to DD. Amazing MpG . This rig is built right .

Assuming this thing is still up for grabs? PM your phone/email if you don't mind. Got a few questions for you.

Nice rig. I assume that the engine is a 4BD1na that has added turbo? Do you know which turbo?

Nice rig. I assume that the engine is a 4BD1na that has added turbo? Do you know which turbo?
I believe the build thread says a Chevy turbo. Wish I could provide more info. If you poke around the build thread there should be more on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom