AVAILABLE NOW: 100 Series Carpet Sets and Mats! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any quieter inside?
Yes, I did notice that it is quieter now but by how much is subjective. Keep in mind the cargo carpet doesn’t have any backing though even if you order the mass backed option. At least mine didn’t.

Hello OP,

Do you have any photos of the floor mats? Are they carpet or rubber?

My carpet is fine but the floor OEM floor mats, carpet type, are finished and would be keen to get a new set. Colour is tan. Front and back only, not needed for the rear area.

Yes, I did notice that it is quieter now but by how much is subjective. Keep in mind the cargo carpet doesn’t have any backing though even if you order the mass backed option. At least mine didn’t.

Thanx, did not know that.

Hey, just wanted to follow up on this: are you saying your cargo carpet portion wasn't mass backed like the rest of your carpet?

Do you think you can fit any sound treatment under the mass backed carpet

Not having to install any sound deadening is really the purpose of the mass backing. That being said, you could install more, with spray-on types (like Lizard Skin, Second Skin, etc. being the least obstructive) or maybe a thin asphaltic material (like a 50mil KillMat, Noico, etc.) The mass backed material is already thick, and you don't want additional thickness to create fitment issues (like where the carpet fits into the cargo area panels, thickness under the seat mounts, etc.) Where you CAN see some benefits in addition to the mass backing is to apply some thicker material (80+mil asphaltic material) to the inside of the exterior door skins and quarter panels.

I installed mass backed carpet in my 2000 100, and it made a pretty profound difference. I suspect the difference isn't quite as pronounced in the 2003-2007 trucks, as they got more sound deadening from the factory than the 1998-2002 trucks did.

Not having to install any sound deadening is really the purpose of the mass backing. That being said, you could install more, with spray-on types (like Lizard Skin, Second Skin, etc. being the least obstructive) or maybe a thin asphaltic material (like a 50mil KillMat, Noico, etc.) The mass backed material is already thick, and you don't want additional thickness to create fitment issues (like where the carpet fits into the cargo area panels, thickness under the seat mounts, etc.) Where you CAN see some benefits in addition to the mass backing is to apply some thicker material (80+mil asphaltic material) to the inside of the exterior door skins and quarter panels.

I installed mass backed carpet in my 2000 100, and it made a pretty profound difference. I suspect the difference isn't quite as pronounced in the 2003-2007 trucks, as they got more sound deadening from the factory than the 1998-2002 trucks did.
LCT above said there was no backing in the cargo area or did I misunderstand him?

I'm not sure. I asked him (in a post above) if his cargo carpet came without mass backing. It shouldn't have, as (a) all carpet is made-when-ordered, and (b) all carpet is molded in one large piece, then the individual pieces are cut out of that one piece. Therefore, I'm not sure how a non-mass backed piece could have ended up in a mass backed set. That's why I want to make sure I understood his earlier post correctly.

I agree with @dnp 's post above. Also note that sound proofing the doors will make quite a bit of difference too.

I'm not sure. I asked him (in a post above) if his cargo carpet came without mass backing. It shouldn't have, as (a) all carpet is made-when-ordered, and (b) all carpet is molded in one large piece, then the individual pieces are cut out of that one piece. Therefore, I'm not sure how a non-mass backed piece could have ended up in a mass backed set. That's why I want to make sure I understood his earlier post correctly.
Hey, just wanted to follow up on this: are you saying your cargo carpet portion wasn't mass backed like the rest of your carpet?

Sorry missed your post earlier.
Correct, it wasn't mass backed. I was surprised too but thought that's how they were meant to be. Any chance of correcting this?

Correct, it wasn't mass backed. I was surprised too but thought that's how they were meant to be. Any chance of correcting this?
That's very strange, as it is supposed to be mass backed like the other pieces. As I mentioned above, I'm not sure how that happened. I was unaware until I read your post above, but since I want you to have what you ordered, let me look into that.

The mfr. has a "process," and they're going to want photos. Therefore, can you PM me some photos of the cargo carpet, as well as some of the mass backed portions? I know it's installed, so just the best way you can do that should suffice for me to open a conversation with them.

Thanks.

That's very strange, as it is supposed to be mass backed like the other pieces. As I mentioned above, I'm not sure how that happened. I was unaware until I read your post above, but since I want you to have what you ordered, let me look into that.

The mfr. has a "process," and they're going to want photos. Therefore, can you PM me some photos of the cargo carpet, as well as some of the mass backed portions? I know it's installed, so just the best way you can do that should suffice for me to open a conversation with them.

Thanks.
Sending you a PM now. Thanks!

Thanks.
I wanted to clarify for others looking to get this carpet. I mistook the jute for mass backing but @dnp clarified that the black, rubber backing on the carpet is the mass backing. So, basically I was missing the jute for the rear cargo area carpet.
Apologize for any confusion this might have caused.

I wanted to clarify for others looking to get this carpet. I mistook the jute for mass backing but @dnp clarified that the black, rubber backing on the carpet is the mass backing. So, basically I was missing the jute for the rear cargo area carpet.
Apologize for any confusion this might have caused.
So was the jute supposed to be on the cargo area portion?

I have to say it was wonderful working with Dave and Valerie as their customer service was A++. Dave even called me to discuss carpet options and pointers on how to install. After I ordered the carpet it showed up at my house in approx 3 days. I decided to go with the non mass backed carpet though I installed deadening mat as well. I went with the Ebony color and it looks great with my gray seats. I took my time on the install and took 2 weeks to complete - working several hours a day on it. I started with the tail gate, then back section, and last the front. Make sure to disconnect the battery. I used a good utility knife, good scissors. I did not have the right size stapler so I went to a local upholstery shop in Pittsburgh to have them staple the carpet around the tailgate board after I glued it down - you will need smaller staples so it only goes in the board but not through the carpet on the top side. As to the other areas - the only other place I used glue was on the plastic bridges over the wiring harness however that was probably overkill. Don't throw out the old carpet until the end of the install. I had it laid out next to my rig and looked at it many times as to cut sizes and placement. I even used some of the padding from the old carpet in some areas where needed - mostly on the side walls where you enter in all four door entry ways. I will be honest it was a tedious job and you have to be meticulous on your cuts - take your time and do not rush it. Take multiple cuts until you get to a point where it starts to fit. Also, make sure to purchase the plastic tools to remove all the plastic trim. Next task - new leather on the seats!
LC1.jpg
LC2.jpg
LC3.jpg
LC4.jpg
LC5.jpg

I have to say it was wonderful working with Dave and Valerie as their customer service was A++. Dave even called me to discuss carpet options and pointers on how to install. After I ordered the carpet it showed up at my house in approx 3 days. I decided to go with the non mass backed carpet though I installed deadening mat as well. I went with the Ebony color and it looks great with my gray seats. I took my time on the install and took 2 weeks to complete - working several hours a day on it. I started with the tail gate, then back section, and last the front. Make sure to disconnect the battery. I used a good utility knife, good scissors. I did not have the right size stapler so I went to a local upholstery shop in Pittsburgh to have them staple the carpet around the tailgate board after I glued it down - you will need smaller staples so it only goes in the board but not through the carpet on the top side. As to the other areas - the only other place I used glue was on the plastic bridges over the wiring harness however that was probably overkill. Don't throw out the old carpet until the end of the install. I had it laid out next to my rig and looked at it many times as to cut sizes and placement. I even used some of the padding from the old carpet in some areas where needed - mostly on the side walls where you enter in all four door entry ways. I will be honest it was a tedious job and you have to be meticulous on your cuts - take your time and do not rush it. Take multiple cuts until you get to a point where it starts to fit. Also, make sure to purchase the plastic tools to remove all the plastic trim. Next task - new leather on the seats!
View attachment 2819531View attachment 2819532View attachment 2819533View attachment 2819534View attachment 2819535
Killer - looks awesome! Carpet goals right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom