AVAILABLE NOW: 100 Series Carpet Sets and Mats! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Long time listener, first time caller on this forum. I picked up a new to me 2005 LC this past fall and have been making a project out of it since, i wanted to give a shout out to David and Valerie for their help during my carpet install. David was kind enough to take time out of his vacation, he called to give me pointers and advice on fitment. He went above and beyond.
I decided to go with the mass backed ebony grey option. I'm please with the deviated carpet look on the factory grey, i think it looks great.

some pictures and lessons learned during the install (measure twice, go inside for a beverage, come back. measure again, then cut)

The rear carpet section was a piece of cake, plenty of margin all around to cover sheet metal and tuck under trim. It seems the donor body shell for the mold was an early 100 series ( or a gutted shell) as its not formed around the rear A/C condensor and plastic, that side took a little patience.

trunk 2.jpg

trunk 1.jpg

finding a starting reference point i had faith in was the biggest challenge. After reading other forum write ups, and talking to David, looking at the seat base "ramp ups" i convinced myself the front seat rail was the most prominent feature and the place i should start. Clearly the carpet was molded on a jig that didn't have the right side NAV DVD, the left side rear heat blower, or any of the center console installed. I think some of the errors i made had to do with the slight differences in how the carpet lays with those things left installed. Not deal breaker but something id look at differntly if i did this again.

reference .jpeg

fitting.jpeg

For cutting the bolt holes, i found my place with a pick and "followed" that in with an old soldering iron. Couldn't have been easier. For the rear passenger floor vents, i felt my way up 2 inches from the nozzle outlet, made a slice parallel to the nozzle outlet, cut a slit on both sides of the nozzle making a flap and then tucked that flap under the vent tube. No blockage even with the tight fit.

soldering hole.jpeg

(continued)

All in all id rank the fitment 8 of 10. The carpet meeting the middle row seat base doesn't fit flush to the sheet metal, id say about a half inch to an inch of " float" ( picture below ). I may try adding some adhesive backed insulating foam to take up the slack. Interestingly this gap wasn't visible until i bolted down the rear side steps.

My process started with laying the factory pieces on top of the new carpet and tracing the old cutouts with chalk. I also used to the foam cutouts for the rear bench on the new carpet as a reference before committing to cutting the first bolt holes ( front seat rail as described above)

rear seat bubble.jpeg

No complaints with the front section, its flush with all the factory sheet metal undulations
installed.jpeg

These results are due to my mediocre judgement eyeing up the carpet, that being said if i did it over again ( and i may down the line), id have gone with the non mass backed option and laid down monster mat insulation directly to the floor boards. Some of the angles seen on the factory carpet seem a little sharp for the thicker material to track. With my new dove grey factory floor mats it actually looks great, all the nitpicking aside!

Here some other updates / restoration items ive done so far.:

Recovered wheel from Craft Customs. they matched the grain pretty well
steering.jpg

GROM Vline LITE mounted below the AHC delete " coin tray" or whatever the hell its supposed to be. Block off plate coming soon. USB routed into the center console
Grom.jpg

Powder coated wheels and matched center caps ( Prismatic Powders color: heavy steel with a soft clear coat on top. It looks semi gloss)
side profile.jpeg (2).jpg

*PSA* Lads and Lassies who redid their carpets and want to keep it fresh looking, GYEON carpet coating will help. All you do is spray and spread all over carpet with your hand, whole truck is done under 5 mins. It will help with water, mud and etc. from getting and settling into the fibers.

(continued)

All in all id rank the fitment 8 of 10. The carpet meeting the middle row seat base doesn't fit flush to the sheet metal, id say about a half inch to an inch of " float" ( picture below ). I may try adding some adhesive backed insulating foam to take up the slack. Interestingly this gap wasn't visible until i bolted down the rear side steps.

My process started with laying the factory pieces on top of the new carpet and tracing the old cutouts with chalk. I also used to the foam cutouts for the rear bench on the new carpet as a reference before committing to cutting the first bolt holes ( front seat rail as described above)

View attachment 3294818

No complaints with the front section, its flush with all the factory sheet metal undulations
View attachment 3294823

These results are due to my mediocre judgement eyeing up the carpet, that being said if i did it over again ( and i may down the line), id have gone with the non mass backed option and laid down monster mat insulation directly to the floor boards. Some of the angles seen on the factory carpet seem a little sharp for the thicker material to track. With my new dove grey factory floor mats it actually looks great, all the nitpicking aside!

Here some other updates / restoration items ive done so far.:

Recovered wheel from Craft Customs. they matched the grain pretty well
View attachment 3294833

GROM Vline LITE mounted below the AHC delete " coin tray" or whatever the hell its supposed to be. Block off plate coming soon. USB routed into the center console
View attachment 3294834

Powder coated wheels and matched center caps ( Prismatic Powders color: heavy steel with a soft clear coat on top. It looks semi gloss)
View attachment 3294840
Looks great. I’m about to powder coat the same wheels. Love the color. How did you handle the lug nuts?

I didn’t do anything to the lug nuts, the plastic center caps were paint matched by the vendor it’s not a 100% match but close enough for me
Nice write-up of your process -- thanks for sharing. I'm really happy with the dark (ebony) carpet as well. Good insight on the mass backing too. I also changed my tired/stained speaker covers to a black fabric and it hits nice with the dark carpet too.

Does anyone have photos from a tan install?

Just finished up this weekend. Adding a base plate for my drawers in the rear so i didn't cut holes but you get the idea. The color I ordered was Antelope. Made some bad cuts, but most is covered up beside the front passenger outer seat mount. The areas where the carpet needs to round off like in the second picture below the seat are the hardest areas to make look right and under the front seats. Just take your time on those areas.
Fairly satisfied with the install. The carpet itself is nice and seems as if it will hold up well. Still need to add velcro in the spots that are on the original carpet (footwells & rear cargo transition). These are the only pictures I have after it was finished. Hope it helps!

IMG_8288.JPEG
IMG_8289.JPEG
IMG_8287.JPEG

Just finished up this weekend. Adding a base plate for my drawers in the rear so i didn't cut holes but you get the idea. The color I ordered was Antelope. Made some bad cuts, but most is covered up beside the front passenger outer seat mount. The areas where the carpet needs to round off like in the second picture below the seat are the hardest areas to make look right and under the front seats. Just take your time on those areas.
Fairly satisfied with the install. The carpet itself is nice and seems as if it will hold up well. Still need to add velcro in the spots that are on the original carpet (footwells & rear cargo transition). These are the only pictures I have after it was finished. Hope it helps!

View attachment 3545060View attachment 3545061View attachment 3545059

Thanks for posting, this looks really great. I sent a message to @Tupelo Honey so hopefully I can order mine soon!

View attachment 3545060View attachment 3545061View attachment 3545059
That looks great. Did you get the mass loaded vinyl backed carpet? Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom