Auxiliary Tranmission Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed an inline transmission filter on my 99 UZJ100. Thought I would share as It was extremely easy (45 min job), and less than $100. I have used these on multiple other vehicles with great success including power steering systems. (FYI, I have no connection to Magnefine. Just something I picked up from amazon).

I completed a passive flush on the transmission by disconnecting the "out line" of the transmission cooler (bottom line). After the flush, I disconnected the hard line trans bracket (10mm) and used a FJ80 Fuel filter bracket to mount the Magnafine filter housing. All that was needed:
  • Filter of your choice (I used a Magnefine filter 3/8)
  • Mounting bracket of some sort (FJ80 3FE fuel filter bracket it perfect fit)
  • Soft 3/8 transmission line
  • 3 hose clamps used to secure soft transmission line
Steps:
  1. Remove front valance (3 screws and 2 clips, and maybe a. plastic pin if you still have yours)
  2. Disconnect the "out" soft transmission line from the Trans cooler
  3. Remove 10MM bolt that secures the frame mounted hard trans line
  4. Mount bracket of your choosing
  5. Reinstall 10MM bolt
  6. Mount Filter (be sure to take into consideration flow direction... filter has a flow arrow)
  7. Re-connect OEM soft line to filter
  8. Mock up new soft line
  9. Secure trans lines with clamps
  10. Reinstall Front Valance
  11. Top off transmission fluid (if needed)

As far as benefit goes, this filter is rated around the 30-35 micron range. There is filter media, and a magnet inside. The screen or "filter" mounted in the bottom of the trans pan is around the 80 micron size. So additional filtration is provided, and this is easily serviceable (unlike screen in transmission pan). If there were ever to be a failure or leak, it can be put back to factory spec as it keeps the OEM soft line in place.

Here is how it turned out. pics below.

Red arrows indicate flow direction

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 4.17.59 PM.png

Flow direction going into trans cooler:
Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 4.17.49 PM.png

Mounting bracket was a repurposed FJ80 fuel filter bracket. No drilling or cutting required:

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 4.17.39 PM.png

I'll let others weigh in who have more experience than I... but great write up!

Do you have part # of FJ80 3FE fuel filter bracket ?

It does not look like the bracket is available as a separate part, which is a bummer. For reference, the fuel filter assembly that the bracket came from is 23300-69035.

I would look online for a generic fuel filter bracket, or fuel pump bracket. Lots of options to chose from depending on what transmission filter you go with.

I am curious to see something like a Blackstone report with a before and after with this mod. It seems to be a great mod to promote the longevity of these transmissions. Clean fluid never hurt anything.

Update on aux trans filter- set up is working great. No issues or noticeable changes in performance.

Vehicle was pushed pretty hard on most recent trip. 2.2K miles round trip, with many miles with transmission down shifting in Colorado mountain roads. About 500 miles of that was off-road mountain passes.

A couple other comments - if you are looking to protect and provide longevity to your transmission, regular preventative maintenance cannot be beat. Passive fluid flushes, using full synthetic fluid is critical. This aux filter should only augment regular scheduled maintenance, not replace it.

I installed mine. The LC fuel filter bracket works too. Mounted to the same bolt OP suggested. Had to cut the filter bracket and file off two ends to slide into the trans line bracket. All is good! Did this during my lunch break.. yes, I miss my lunch but I am happy!

20220818_131049.jpg

OP, the last picture you have in your first post shows the filter mounted incorrectly.

OP, the last picture you have in your first post shows the filter mounted incorrectly.
Yes, correct. First photo with red arrows overlayed shows correct orientation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom