Auxiliary light wiring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I just bought a set of Hella 550 driving lights to mount to my brush guard. The wiring diagram for them is pretty straightforward, except that the way they have it is so your high beams have to be on for your aux lights to be on.

I would rather wire it so that the aux lights can be switched on or off even if no other lights are on, just the engine running. Any idea on how to do that (which wire to tap into instead of the high beam?)

charlie

any positive thats going to be on all the time. Just wire the relay on(the one thats meant to go to the headlight) about 2cm to the main relay power. That is assuming that the relay wiring digram provided has the switch on the negative side of the relay switch circuit.

sam

Since the switch is going to be located right next to the cigarette lighter, could I splice it into the lighter's power wire?

That would at least minimize the length of wire necessary, assuming my lighter shuts off when the ignition is off...

good idea, but that will only work if the switch is on the + side of the relay switch (if you are trying to save wire.

note also that this wiring could be illegal if spotlight covers are not used.

Yes, might be illegal if you don't connect them to the high beam.
And yes, you can use the power wire from the cigarette lighter. There is always power, so your lights won't shut off if you pull out the key.

Ton

i run my KCs with out a relay. I ran a wire that has inline fuse off the batt to a switch then to the light. as long as you keep a cover on them when not in use you should be ok. and as for taping off anything i wouldn't recomend it. because the lights will pull alot of amps and u will blow fuses.

[quote author=mwalls54 link=board=1;threadid=9344;start=msg81649#msg81649 date=1072737090]
... and as for taping off anything i wouldn't recomend it. because the lights will pull alot of amps and u will blow fuses.
[/quote]
As long as you don't smoke, you're Ok :D because there are no other devices connected to the lighter fuse.

Ton

definitely gonna have a cover on them most of the time

what amp fuse are you using, mwalls?

i think its a 15 amp. what ever came with the lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom