Auxiliary fuel tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
 The subject of 80 series auxiliary fuel tanks was brought up in another thread, and there is some interesting info to share with respect to this topic.

Both MAF and SOR are offering auxiliary (sub tank) packages for the 80, but at considerably different prices. MAF=$295, SOR=$755.

As to the MAF v SOR aux tanks, there are several differences:

1. The MAF tank does not have a transfer pump, the solenoid that operates it, nor the bracket/hardware required to mount them. You've got to find your own;

2. The MAF tank does not include the fuel pipe (77109-60052), a significant piece of hardware that would be required after the stock piece is removed (though, you can take a hack saw to the original and make it work);

3. The SOR package is not an 80 set up at all, rather a UZJ105 tank, straps, and filler neck. The tank will actually fit an 80 quite well, but there are fitment and operational issues with all of the pieces in an 80. The tank does, however, include an internal pump - standard on the 105 - obviating the need for an external transfer pump, solenoid, etc;

4. Neither package has the sub tank switch.

5. There is no known interface for either of these tank packages that will allow their smooth integration into an 80. In other words, the  U.S. spec ECU apparently does not understand "sub tank speak," though there may be a few surprises here, as the U.S. spec 80 (97s anyway) have the sub tank harness ( I'm a wishful thinker :) )...

6. Neither is a "bolt-in" project, to say the least.

Dan: Do you have anything on that fuel pipe? (77109-60052)

Still, the MAF offering strikes me as a better deal, but neither is likely the best project for the mechanically challenged...

Cheers !

Ron,

MAF also claims to have a "100 series" tank, with pump for $395.00. Do you think that may be the match up for the SOR tank? I imagine the 77109-60052 bridges from the main tank to the dual neck? I will chase to see what I can turn up on that number. I wish there was a way to "kit" this.......

Those 6 gallon Rubbermaids look better all the time....... :slap:

Dan -

>> MAF also claims to have a "100 series" tank, with pump for $395.00. Do you think that may be the match up for the SOR tank?

I expect not - at least not entirely, anyway. The 105 filler neck more closely resembles the 80, though the tank ports are oriented differently. The 100 series filler neck (as pictured by MAF) is an entirely different beast altogether.

The 100 tank appears similar to the 105, as the 105 appears similar to 80 - yet the latter two do differ - as do the former, I expect. But I've never actually seen the 100 tank in person...

As to the internal transfer pump, to the extent the 100 and 105 tanks may differ, so may the pumps. I'd only be guessing on that one.

>> I imagine the 77109-60052 bridges from the main tank to the dual neck?

Yep, that it does. Considerably shorter than the existing filler tube - to accomodate the dual neck - but still enough pipe that you wouldn't want to be hit by it !

>> I will chase to see what I can turn up on that number.

Appreciated. List price would be a valuable piece of info.

>> I wish there was a way to "kit" this.......

Found a wrecker in Oz with a rolled 80... had the complete kit, right down to the switch and overhead console/gauge. However (there's always a however), he wanted $1800 AUD (roughly $1100 USD), not including shipping, customs, etc.

Yeah Rubbermaid !

-R-

I could probably help someone out with this.
All gxl and above have subtanks here and mines already set up but im looking at buying a spare parts vechile to reuse in mine for diffs gearbox ect after rebuilding.

You mean you may have an auxiliary tank set up on a parts truck and would be willing to sell it? That would be a nice thing. I would be interested in buying that. Stay in touch if that is the case.

Yea i would plus other parts un needed like a manual 5 speed used or recoed and a number of other things like sliding rear windows and aussie twin headlight surrouonds and T O Y O T A grill.
Basicly im buying it to rebuild the driveline and install to mine.

I'm interested. I have one, but one vent line has been cut and I'm not too happy with it. Let me know if you can get one in decent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom