Auxiliary Fuel tank question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came into possession of a fzj80 OEM fuel tank at a local junk yard while looking for some other interior parts. Has anyone used a second OEM tank for an auxiliary tank? I know I'd need the plumbing ie dual filler neck/transfer pump/wiring. Was thinking of cleaning up my original tank since I need to redo the filler neck soon anyway (living in Maine in the heart of the rust belt). Tank is ok but filler is in rough shape.

I came into possession of a fzj80 OEM fuel tank at a local junk yard while looking for some other interior parts. Has anyone used a second OEM tank for an auxiliary tank? I know I'd need the plumbing ie dual filler neck/transfer pump/wiring. Was thinking of cleaning up my original tank since I need to redo the filler neck soon anyway (living in Maine in the heart of the rust belt). Tank is ok but filler is in rough shape.
Yes, plenty have. Do a search and you will find many threads.

There have been many guys that have fitted the OEM sub-tanks and a few have fitted junkyard tanks from other vehicles but I don't recall anyone fitting the OEM main tank as an auxiliary tank. The biggest constraint will be finding something that will fit between the frame rails and also stay away from the exhaust. Measure the space up and give it a try.

Last edited:
Oh, you mean the main tank?? If so, then I am wrong in my statements above and will delete.

An 80 series primary fuel tank will not fit anywhere on the vehicle other than the original position. Unless you're going to strap it to the roof, in which case you're getting into door bladder territory.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought but hadn't had a chance to measure it out. I thought maybe it would fit where the spare tire used to be. Oh well, guess I'll eventually have to get an aftermarket tank at a later date haha.

Not sure how I "quoted" you gummy carbs. It was meant as a simple reply
The edit box should make it pretty clear if you're within a quote or not. To get out of a quote, just click/tap outside of the quote, within the edit box.

When you hit reply, it automatically quotes the post. If you just want to reply without quoting, just start with the at symbol and the username, like @skinykano25.

Anyway, I think the tested aftermarket tanks are for some Chevy S-10 models and a Mitsubishi Montero. I've got a rear tank for an F-150 6 cylinder ('90 - '96, or something like that) that I've been playing with. It's awfully big, though, and might need the front, passenger corner cut or hammered for exhaust clearance.

The edit box should make it pretty clear if you're within a quote or not. To get out of a quote, just click/tap outside of the quote, within the edit box.

When you hit reply, it automatically quotes the post. If you just want to reply without quoting, just start with the at symbol and the username, like @skinykano25.

Anyway, I think the tested aftermarket tanks are for some Chevy S-10 models and a Mitsubishi Montero. I've got a rear tank for an F-150 6 cylinder ('90 - '96, or something like that) that I've been playing with. It's awfully big, though, and might need the front, passenger corner cut or hammered for exhaust clearance.
Yeah I think it was just clumsy thumbs to be honest it's pretty clearly marked haha. Thanks for the leads. I love the custom sub tanks but they're well out of my price range. Chevy/Mitsubishi tank though probably considerably less so. My 80 won't be a daily driver for too much longer but I'd like to have the extended range available without taking the extra space inside with cans and I'd rather not mount cans on the roof/rear. I carry a spare 10 gallons in the back right now strapped down next to the third row along with my spare tire. Figured the original spare location was the logical spot for a tank, just trying to find a less expensive tank option than a grand haha

I love the custom sub tanks but they're well out of my price range.

There's a 37 gallon tank that replaces the main fuel tank. It's $2k, but at least you don't have to buy all the parts and do the mods for a dual filler neck, tank switching apparatus, fuel pump, and level gauge.

You're probably going to spend something like $400 - $700 for a dual filler neck and hoses. If you want the early style dual filler neck, then you're probably going to have to do some light fabrication to too (I know I did, had to extend a pivot point). Then you've got to decide if you're going to pump into your main tank or have a switching valve to select between tanks (e.g. Pollack 42-302P).

There's a 37 gallon tank that replaces the main fuel tank. It's $2k, but at least you don't have to buy all the parts and do the mods for a dual filler neck, tank switching apparatus, fuel pump, and level gauge.

You're probably going to spend something like $400 - $700 for a dual filler neck and hoses. If you want the early style dual filler neck, then you're probably going to have to do some light fabrication to too (I know I did, had to extend a pivot point). Then you've got to decide if you're going to pump into your main tank or have a switching valve to select between tanks (e.g. Pollack 42-302P).
When I get ready to do it I'll probably just use a transfer pump/switch to fill the main. I know it's quite an involved project so it may be quite awhile before it happens. Wanted to pick someones brain beforehand though because I had some extra parts. I wish the sub tanks/electrics were easier to get here in the U.S. but I'll be able to figure something out. If not, I'll just have to continue with my cans as the "low tech" option I guess haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom