Aux Tank Experience? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most other world markets have a factory 11.8 gal (45L) sub-tank that can be optioned. They also don't have the charcoal canister above the spare tire to interfere. Installing an LRA subtank actually requires removing a couple brackets on the body rails meant for the factory subtank.

Interestingly, I've read that opting for the factory sub-tank requires a change from an 8-passenger to 7-passenger. Also, the latest LX570 diesel in AUS, can't even opt for the sub-tank and is a 5-seater. Or sun-roof. Or other weighty luxuries. Chalk it up to gross vehicle weight considerations.

TBD - looking for pic of OEM aux tank..

Last edited:
Two more recent vehicles have made the change. Jeep JK i think had fuel tank behind rear bumper. Mercedes G500/550 had it there behind rear bumper and for a while Mercedes refused to put a hitch back there.

Now, both of these Jeep and MB newer models have moved the gas tank to midship. Basically, you cannot find any current cars/SUVs that have fuel tank behind rear bumper. None. That worries me about LRA position.
This may be less for crash protection and more for weight distribution and balance. Moving the tank midship lets you carry a bit more weight behind the axle. It also improves handling as the "sloshing" weight (I'm sure there's a physics term I'm forgetting for this) when braking or cornering is better distributed.

It's worth noting that the OEM design of the 200-series has the aux tank located in the same place as the LRA tank.

^This

The 12.5 gal LRA aux is similar in size and placement to the 12 gal Toyota option. So while it's not crash-tested, it's *probably* fine to run the smaller tank and expect similar results.

As far as the larger tanks go, YMMV. I would personally opt for the 24 gal due to weight, tank height, amd cruising range and would trust that the trailer hitch which is welded through the frame will be sufficient to withstand any impact. However if you're worried, then don't do it.

@TeCKis300 Attached are all of the images that I have of the OEM auxiliary tank on 200s. The one with the armor plate underneath is a diesel, the other three images are from a petrol.
The tank is much heavier than you'd expect and is coated with a thick black rubber material (petrol tank specifically, unsure if diesel tank is the same). I thought I had a picture of the tank once it was removed but can't find it right now.

Screenshot_20200421-161528_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-161621_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-161612_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-161545_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Well now that I've spent an arm and a leg getting the 40gal tank installed (incorrectly) and then reinstalled (correctly) by another mechanic - my pump seems to have gone out. It was fairly quick to fill up the main tank when I first got it and I noticed a month or so ago that it didn't seem to fill the main tank up as fast as it used to but was still functional so didn't think much of it.

Driving around today and had it pumping (orange light on) for about 40 min and the main tank has less gas that when I started. Stopped, turned on the pump and went to the gas fill neck and sure enough - no sound, no gas moving, no pump noise.
I read at some point that some people are switching out their pumps for a better one (crazy me, I thought why switch out a brand new pump, but I guess I see why now) but can't seem to find which model everyone is using. Can someone link to it for me or point me in the right place?

Thanks All!

Well now that I've spent an arm and a leg getting the 40gal tank installed (incorrectly) and then reinstalled (correctly) by another mechanic - my pump seems to have gone out. It was fairly quick to fill up the main tank when I first got it and I noticed a month or so ago that it didn't seem to fill the main tank up as fast as it used to but was still functional so didn't think much of it.

Driving around today and had it pumping (orange light on) for about 40 min and the main tank has less gas that when I started. Stopped, turned on the pump and went to the gas fill neck and sure enough - no sound, no gas moving, no pump noise.
I read at some point that some people are switching out their pumps for a better one (crazy me, I thought why switch out a brand new pump, but I guess I see why now) but can't seem to find which model everyone is using. Can someone link to it for me or point me in the right place?

Thanks All!
Reach out to Ward, I'm sure he'll help you out.

*edited out bad information!

Last edited:
Your failure to pump could also be something as simple as an electrical connector has come off.

The cruising range won't reset or increase in range. Until a refuel from a gas pump is performed. Not sure what triggers it to reset then.

My range will reset on my 2019 after I transfer my 12.5gal Aux tank. It does not do it right away but if I look back at it, after a few miles, it will have increased to about where it should be. Not sure if it is because mine is newer or it is an LC.

An update to this: transferring a small amount does not recalculate; however, it will if move 12+ gallons over 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks All!

I had two of their pumps fail and moved to a better one. It’s more than twice as fast and much quieter. The pump that comes with the stock tank is really not meant for this application. I would reach out to @sleeoffroad or @Eric Sarjeant on what they use.

I like the stock pump because yoh lose the aux tank gauge with the aftermarket "faster" pump.

That’s is not correct. The pump just powers the transfer of the fuel. The sensor which communicates the fuel level is totally separate. My tank gauge works just fine with the better pump.

Last edited:
I’ve had the stock pump for over 2 years. Transfer speed is good. While on road trip I never hear it and before you know it your main tank is filled.

I’ve had the stock pump for over 2 years. Transfer speed is good. While on road trip I never hear it and before you know it your main tank is filled.

Glad you haven't had it fail. If I was OP, though, I would replace with a better pump. There's reasons why @sleeoffroad and @Eric Sarjeant replace the pump and other accessories (tubing, fittings, etc.) on most of their installs.

Last edited:
I just recently ordered one from LRA, and was told that it comes with the upgraded pump that Eric is using.

That's what they told me, about two weeks ago.

Huh, interesting.

Anyways, this (24gal) is a game changer for long trips. I completed my 1900 mile move from CA to AR. Range on the LC while towing an enclosed trailer is greatly increased. We'd always stop to take a break / rest. Never really stopped for fuel, but got fuel. I'd guestimate around 350 mile range while towing a 7,000 lbs air brake, although we never did more than about 300 miles before stopping for a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom