Aux pics of fan install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well here goes:
10" fan from an LX 470 nto my 1995 80. The fan is ABS and was easy to fab to go into existing holes inside the 80 Series bay ( behind the grill) As you can see, the center horn bracket was used to "center" the fan and the horns were moved below ( the horn wire was simply made lnger to reach behind the ARB bar....although now it sound "tinny"
Before the fan: My family would suffer in city Texas driving in stop and go traffic.
NOW: The A/C is probably 10 degrees cooler. The fan turns on when the compressor kicks on. Be advised I did cut vent holes in the hood to allow hot air to escape so this also helped. a 12" might fit although it will be tight however, this 10 " fan helped the A/C cool down MUCH better.
airlaird

Nice clean install :cheers:

Is this fan something that comes on an LX450 and not the LC?? Was the wiring easy?

Whoops I did not realize that Raven had already posted these for me on post 47 Sorry! Anyway, the wiring was simple..all it took is a Bosch relay. And no "J" springs yet yellowchaos...i might be putting on a 6" lift instead!!
airlaird

Any thoughts about whether this actually blocks air flow to the radiator, when the AC is not running?

Can you please show the wiring diagram from fan, to relay and etc. I'm a

newbie, and this is the mod I want to add later on. Thanks

Honestly, I had a mechanic do he wiring..I only did the fan install and brought it ti him. I sent elmariachi the relay schematics to him..hopefully he can read this and jump in with what connects go to what "prongs" of the relay.
airlaird

Block the radiator..nope

Rookie2 said:
Any thoughts about whether this actually blocks air flow to the radiator, when the AC is not running?

Good question: My thoughts are: There is no way. The fan has vents cut in into it to allow the shroud to let air in and out. Also if that was the case I think my temp guage would have slightly moved upward.
airlaird

I think there is little doubt that at high vehicle speeds the fan is an obstruction to airflow. I don't see how it could not be. On the other hand, there is also no doubt that at low vehicle speeds the fan increases the airflow. So, if you need more airflow at low speeds, and have more than enough airflow at high speeds, then it all works out.

Rich said:
I think there is little doubt that at high vehicle speeds the fan is an obstruction to airflow. I don't see how it could not be. On the other hand, there is also no doubt that at low vehicle speeds the fan increases the airflow. So, if you need more airflow at low speeds, and have more than enough airflow at high speeds, then it all works out.

If that is the case then my plan will be to go from having it activated by the AC compressor to having it activated by engine temp. Either way, I think it s a must for here in Texas. The schematic I received as a typo...more to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom