Aux input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tomorrow I install a soungate AUX3 switch in my 97 LX450 by cutting into the harness going from the CD changer to the headunit (both stock Pioneer made for Toyota). This is my last ditch attempt to get auxiliary audio input into the stock headunit to connect a dvd player without a FM modulator. Question to the experts here: Is this the best way? I don't want to cut into the harness for L/R audio inputs but I haven't been able to find a custom made adaptor for my model. Did anybody else do it differently?

I also would like to run power directly from the battery to some of the new equipment inside....low consumption stuff < 100 W. Which is the best location to run a power lead through the firewall...driver side or PS? I would appreciate it if somebody posts a picture of the location.

Thanks.

Options

Options20002001 said:
This is my last ditch attempt to get auxiliary audio input into the stock headunit to connect a dvd player without a FM modulator. Question to the experts here: Is this the best way?

Which is the best location to run a power lead through the firewall...driver side or PS?

I gave up on trying to integrate the audio into the OEM head....too much voodoo for me, especially given that I knew I would be stalking a nav system soon. So I am using a wireless FM modulator. Kids can't tell the difference and I rarely let them play it through the speakers anyway.

There is a big rubber grommet on the driver' firewall beneath the master cylinder. I use it for all my wires.

elmariachi said:
Kids can't tell the difference and I rarely let them play it through the speakers anyway.

Jim, Thanks. The problem here is that I am one of the kids :D . I plan on using the DVD player to play mp3 and DVD-audio. The current headunit/amp sounds really good and I don't want to spend a lot of money upgrading to a NAV/DVD (like the 2 din Pioneer unit) or a JVC DVD receiver. If my aux input plan does not give CD quality sound then I may have to go the route you mentioned. Have you been able to locate a harness that will let you connect the stock amp to the aftermarket headunit or you considering replacing the amp too?

Please check your email.

Options

I am looking to do something similar, but to hardwire an iPod. I currently have a POS aftermarket that the PO put in. The last clear station for my FM transmitter was just taken by some new station :mad:.

I take it that your existing radio doesn't have the controls for CD changer. There are multiply products to interface with that.

Darwood has informed me in a recent thread that a '98 Camry OEM #86120-08040 will plug and play into the existing harness and I am pretty sure that this model is an anti-theft and will use the stock amps. It has an aux input for a CD changer that I will use to connect my iPod.

I have located this radio at a nearby salvage yard for $100. I know it won't go smoothly, but I hope so.

Ross

Ipod Interface

there's a company that offers full integration for ipods, you can control it through your stock radio. Supposedly it's the best out there for hardwiring applications. Costly, though, like $360. However, a load of people on the Prius sites got crazy group discounts from a group buy they did, up to $140 off. I was thinking of gauging interest here on a group buy later on. The company is VAIS technology. I'm not affiliated at all with them, just anxious to get something that works right. here's the link to the Prius group buy:

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I don't see any products on the vendor's website that supports Toyotas built prior to 1998.

Options20002001 said:
I would appreciate it if somebody posts a picture of the location.

Pic stolen from George's site and scribbled on to point you to the grommet.

firewall%20grommet.JPEG

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom