aux gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to move my gas tank to the rear of my 40 for my roll cage. I want to reclaim my back seat area which is currently taken up by a 20 gal fuel cell. I want to go with like a downey or man-a-fre auxilery tank that mounts under the rear bed pan, but there so expensive. has anyone found a stock gas tank out of like a j**p or something that fits under there with a few mods? or are the aux tank kits worth the money?

I've bought several of the Fuel Safe tanks from Marksoffroad.net

They are the same as sold by Downey and Mark sells them for less.

No affliation, just a very happy customer.

As far as DOT goes, I doubt that any of the aftermarket tanks are DOT approved or that it would be an issue. But that's no more than my humble oppinion, use at your own risk. I'd doubt that even stock location aftermarket tanks are, but I could be wrong.

Because of the way the frame has the two diagonal cross members back there, you'll have a hard time fitting in most junkyard tanks of any good size unless you cut those out. I would not do that I were you. That part of the frame is not boxed and would be weakened with out those braces. That is why the aftermarket tanks going back to conferr have the angles cut into the back sides.

The Fuel-Safe tank rocks, cross linked poly, wicked stong. Check out the web site.

-Stumbaugh

Well, if you have the time, patience, and skills you can make your own tank similar to the aftermarket tanks. I built one for my 40 my soph. year in high school. I used 1/2 plate for the bottom(no need for skid plate) and 3/16 for the rest of it. If you go this route make sure that you vent it well, i didnt and it takes awhile to fill the tank:whoops:. So someday i will have to drop the tank and put in a better vent. Also pressure test the tank by blowing compressed air (regulated to a couple psi) into the tank and squirting soapy water on the welds, if it bubbles, you need to fix the weld or you will have a small leak. I also used the old ring for the fuel sender and welded it to the top of the tank and retained the stock sender.

If you want a new tank built for the FJ40, then check here. I think you will find that they look very familar to what you see on some Landcruiser sites. There is a reason for that. Their price is like cutting out the middle man.

Fuel Tanks

If you want a new tank built for the FJ40, then check here. I think you will find that they look very familar to what you see on some Landcruiser sites. There is a reason for that. Their price is like cutting out the middle man.

Fuel Tanks

I talked to Wes with the company and boy he's very knowledgable. If you buy their tank and use it as a main tank they will cut (punch out) your fuel level hole for you if you send your fuel leveler! Now that's service.

The tank also includes all the mounting hardware inclulding the fuel neck and rubber gromet, etc. :bounce:

Hate to get this goin again, but weren't there some years of cruisers that had a tank above the rear axle. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom