Aux fuel tank (my main tank) electric fuel pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My main fuel tank (Confer/Downey/NWMP style) fuel tank sits under the tub, behind the rear axle. Outlet is in right front bottom corner of tank, when climbing steep long hills or off camber - both with not full tank, i get fuel starvation issues with the stock 2F mechanical fuel pump and stock carb.

I tried for about 10 minutes a cheap, box style Napa pump down low right outside the outlet of my tank - no workie for chit

I am gonna try putting a suction tube in from the top of the tank and was wondering what is the best brand of electic fuel pump for the job. Would a brand new, OEM mechanical pump be able to pull the fuel by itself? Should I just put a "helper" electric pump inline with the mechnical? That is the route I am leaning towards because my experience with electric pumps is that they either run forever in the worst possible mounting position or they never last for 1 month under the "best" conditions. Would hard lines be better than short hose sections I have connecting to stock fuel lines?

Any thoughts? Thanks all for your help, with a little luck this thing might see daylight sometime this year :rolleyes:

Well, on mine, it must have a p/u tube, since theres 3 fittings on the top right corner of the fuel tank. The PO had set it up with a Carter electric pump just after the splitter valve. My '77 has a front cradle mount on the 350 so there's no mech pump. I wish I could tell you how all this works offroad, I'm FINALLY at the point where I can get it licensed, I have only got to drive it a couple of times to work when the MASSIVE wiring problem reard its ugly head. Not much, but hope it helps 'ya some. Al

Someone has to have experience with a new OEM mechanical or a good electical fuel pump - c'mon where's the love people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom