Aux cooling fan - another take (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i recently installed a new radiator due to a low speed cooling issue and it seems to have solved the problem as it now runs 185-190 in most conditions. However i wanted to run an aux fan for low speed crawling and long slow hillclimbs but also to bump up the efficiency of the tranny cooler.
I grabbed one of the Depo 100series fans off amazon and fabbed up two mounts to position the Depo between the radiator and tranny cooler - basically acting as a pusher for the rad and a puller for added tranny cooler cooling. After straightening all of the bent fins of the tranny cooler and testing out the Depo fan - im pretty happy with the results:
- nice flow thru the radiator
- nice added suction in front of the tranny cooler.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

In the first pic the lower two slotted mounts of the Depo aux fan fit nicely over the stock lip in front of the rad. With a few rubber strips cut to match the slots - the aux fan rides nicely about 3/8" off of the rad. and about 3/4" in front of the tranny cooler. So there is good room in there for both push-pull action.

Last edited:
Without doubt the 80 cooling fan/system is very good at keeping the engine cool. Toyota do sell an electric fan 'add on' for the 80, your choice appears to look similar. I use an all electric system, a recent trip through some trails in the Tabernas desert fully loaded in 30+C degrees showed it coped with ease. I had a dog with me so the engine would often be running with the AC on for around four hours at a time, just switching off for a lunch break.

regards

Dave

i would imagine toyota offers the optional fan for prolonged heavy duty useage like towing or heavy loads/ desert duty or altitude hard work. while not specifically intended- 37" tires and a few thousand extra pounds of gear probably starts to almost require some type of aux cooling even if your cooling system has been thoroughly overhauled and is in good running shape.

What did you do for connection? Did you find a matching male connector?

There appears to be no AC condenser in the photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom