Automatic Transmission questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I’m the type that can do mechanical things if there’s a video showing me how, but I don’t have a vast knowledge of things… So I have been experiencing a lot of issues with my automatic transmission “sticking in neutral” and decided I would try draining the transmission fluid, changing the filter, and refilling with fresh fluid. (I know that not all of the fluid drains) After pulling the plug and draining overnight, I didn’t get quite a half a gallon to drain out, which seems rather low to me. My real question is why does the dipstick still show full? How can I fill it if the reservoir is full?

There are some excellent threads in the FJ60 forum on transmission servicing - you'd do well to read them.

What's the truck's history on transmission servicing?

2 quarts drained from the pan seems way too low. The 'filter' is just a screen, which you will see when you pull the pan. Recall that the dipstick is only valid when the trans is hot and idling in 'Park'. It will typically show 'way over full' when the truck is parked and the engine is off. Perhaps your transmission is massively low on fluid, which could explain the shifting issue?

Ultimately, your goal should be to drain and pull the pan, check/clean the screen and magnet (if any), refill the pan, pull a cooler line, start the engine, and pump out the cooler and torque converter, then refill the pan, repeated the pump-out, etc. until ALL the fluid in the entire system has been exchanged. Then, top off and check the trans. when hot and idling in Park.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom