automatic to manual conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it possible to convert the automatic window in a 62 to manual, if so then what parts need to be purchased?
-Shawn

so im guessing noone has?

Possible, sure. There's a few people here that have done it, but I don't know who or have those links handy.

You'd need the later ('85+) 4-speed or (if you have a bunch of cash) the 5-speed. You'd need whatever gaskets/seals/etc. from splitting the t-case to move it over to the manual. I don't know about the crossmember, but you might need that as well. Probably easier than adapting the auto crossmember.

Then master/slave cylinders, the pedals from an FJ60, the trans tunnel cover on the 60 (to keep it clean, could also just cut/move the hole in the auto cover).

Flywheel, all the clutch parts....I think that's most of it.

You might need a 60 parts truck.

DC

Lol. Then after that pull the door panels and regulators from the donor 60 and throw 'em in the 62.

is it possible to convert the automatic window in a 62 to manual, if so then what parts need to be purchased?
-Shawn

[STRIKE]Been done many times. Search for H55 and you should find all the info you are looking for.[/STRIKE]

DOH! Scratch the H55 advice, although I'd rather swap out the transmission for a manual than the automatic windows for manual. Post up on the classifieds. I have seen several guys wanting to swap their manual windows for power windows. You might be able to make a trade. Seriously though, you can fix your power windows and then you won't want to trade them.

Last edited:
I think he's talking about windows, not transmissions

-Shawn

Long answer... Yes the switch to manual windows is a bolt in/plug n play conversion. I did it. Some 62's came with manual windows.

You need the manual window regulators from an fj60 and crank handles, they bolt right in. Existing glass bolts to the manual reg's.
The int. door panels are the tricky part depending on how original you want to look.

(a)...You can cut holes in your existing panels for the manual crank and cover the electric switch holes with "something"(?).

(b)...Or you can be very diligent watching the Part Out forum and source int. door panels from a late '87 fj60 which has matching interior fabric to the fj62's. complete factory look, this is what I did.

(c)...or you can make your own door panels and/or recover your panels however you want, lots of options people have done here.

Damn. I should learn to read.

Don't mind me...

hahahaha. thank you too all for the info especially skniper. ya i should have been a little more specific with my question. but that gave me a good laugh. as always this forum is too awesome. wouldnt have been able to do half the things i have without it. :grinpimp: :cheers:
-Shawn

slcfj62 i like the idea of the electric windows but i enjoy the old school manual style. but the trading idea is a good one. thanks for the advice.
-Shawn

Has anyone done the reverse? I have a hj61 with manual Windows and want to chuck a set of electric regulators in. Do all the cruisers have the wiring loom in there already or will I have to start from scratch?

Cheers in advance guys
Adam

-Shawn
-Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom