Auto vs manual for a Tahoe Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a stock '74FJ40 I'm planning to build up - main off road purpose will be Tahoe type rocks. Currently planning to overbuild the truck, so I spend my time wheeling instead of wrenching, and some of the drivetrain seems like a no-brainer: 6.2L V8 with an Atlas and Dynatrac axles spinning 36-38's. The tranny is the big mystery to me. It's been probably 25 years since I built my last rock toy, and wondering what the current consensus was for a transmission? Experience (and nostalgia) tells me to get a SM465 (last 40 had a 350 w/Ranger in front of a SM420) or NV4500, but a bit of research indicates a 4L65e might be a good option for a 4x4 that's focus built for Rubicon/Moab type wheeling.

Any opinions or general comments on the tranny? The truck will not only be a trail toy, but will also need to be driven on the highway/around town (not planning a trailer queen).

Appreciated - this and my suspension are the last couple things to iron out before I bring it in for the body off frame clean up/build process.

I personally have been back and forth on Auto vs. Manual for my build. I felt sorta indifferent about it the more I thought and researched it. My indefference has led me to default to an Auto because it is cheaper.

I may change my mind again though. I have read the pros and cons on the internet and personally have nothing to add outside of what is already available if you research some. I am interested in hearing what mud members say about it so I will be following along.

For serious wheeling, I really prefer an automatic. Back in my Jeep days (forgive me) I had an LS converted LJ with a 6l80, Atlas 4 speed and dynatrac 60s running 37s. intentionally overbuilt so I could drive it from Virginia to Vermont, wheel hard for a week and know I could drive home and be back to work. The auto gives you some forgiveness in the drivetrain with the torque converter, and it is really an easy button, taking some of the thought process out of it.

That said, the automatics make for a relatively long drivetrain in a 40. The V8 will help move it forward a little, a 2 speed atlas might be a wash, 4 is longer. You'll want a 4l65 or 700r4, and those are not short. Atlas adapter, etc. Combine that short rear shaft with the pinion angles you'll need for 36-38, and it will be tight. I'm sure someone can chime in who has actually done it, but it will require some careful engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom