Auto Transmission Shifting problems 1-2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 LC: 3F-E Hi there, just after I got my engine running beautifully, on the way up the mountain I got a hot A/T light. Pulled over, ever since it doesn't like shifting from 1 to 2 (auto trans.)! I checked added fluid, no help. I drained fluid, replaced filter and refilled, still have a problem. When engine is cold, and I accelerate lightly, it will shift OK, but once hot, if I accelerate fast, it revs impossibly high, and then seems to shift straight to 3. Is this going to be expensive? : (

What does, "I checked added fluid, no help." mean?
Was the fluid low? Did you check the level according the the owners manual?
You dropped the pan and replaced the filter. What did the old filter look like? Was it clogged? What about the magnets in the bottom of the pan?

Level was low when A/T temp light was on. Both before and after filter change, after refilling, the AT Fluid was made sure to be at the top notch of the 'hot' indicator when the engine is hot. When I replaced the filter, the old filter looked fine, certainly not clogged, and no real debris to speak of. The magnets had some very fine particles on them, nothing chunky whatsoever. Any ideas?

Lets be clear. ATF is to be checked with the MOTOR RUNNING at normal operating temperature on level ground. Cycle through all the gears and back to park.

The A440F is sensitive to fluid level. If it's overfilled it won't shift correctly. If it's underfilled it won't shift correctly.

The ATF Temp light goes on at 150C or 302F which is crazy friggin hot. Please give some more details about how this happened and what you were doing.

Checked fluid level with engine running - went through gears, it's filled to the right level. I got the ATF light while driving up a paved road that goes up at least 6000 feet - probably more - it was pretty much using only 2nd gear for 10 minutes when I got the light... Now, with low acceleration, I get OK shifting when engine is cold. When it gets hot, it over-revs gear one and tries to shift straight over to gear 3. If I get it into 2, it feels like 2 slips while trying to find 3. After 3 it's fine...! Any ideas?

At this point I realy don't know so I will defer to the only transmission expert I know. Rodney from wholesaleautomatics.com in Austrailia. He is without a doubt "the man" when it comes to these boxes. Contact him directly and please post back to this thread.

Thanks Jon, I've asked the question, and will post the reply...

Response from Rodney at Wholesale Automatics

Hi all,

Rodney got back to me right away - here's what he said: 'Unfortunately 2nd gear has burnt it's self out and you will need to replace
the transmission. I can supply either a Fully Reconditioned Standard
Transmission with Nomad Valve Body and Billet Torque Convertor or our Heavy
Duty Extreme Transmission with Nomad Valve Body and Billet Torque Convertor.
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

I also highly recommend the following Options.
Complete Temp Gauge Kit 300C 12volt
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions'

Guess it's time to get a new transmission! 1st time to swap one - I'll let you all know how it goes... and any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

I am the dealer for Wholesale Automatics in the states, you can take Rodney's word the Bank he truley is the best in the business when tie comes to Auto Trannys. I am more than glad to help if I can. Not sure where you are located but if you are in Southern California, I have some Cruisers with Stage one Valve bodies and Rodney's complete tranny setups. you are more than welcome to come by and drive them and see the difference.

I have a A440F in a HZJ77 and a 96' 80 series with A343F, and also a GX470 with an A750F.

Cheers,

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom