Auto Transmission Rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many of you have rebuilt your A440 with good success? I'm kind of at a crossroads...I know the popular thing to do is an H55F swap but I want to stay automatic. So, who here has rebuilt their own with success or had it done by a reputable shop?

At least 2 well documented builds. Check out search and look for posts by mwebfj60 and cruising Carolina

Thank you, theres so much under search about an auto rebuild, it's hard to pick through them all and see who's done a successful rebuild.

You might be able to get a rebuilt and upgraded one from Georg. He's handling Wholesale Automatic's rebuilds from Australia. That's the direction I'd go if you don't want an H55f.

I know that I've posted this in several other threads but seriously, do yourself a huge favor. Bite the bullet and go with the H55 conversion. It's the single best mod that I have ever done on my Fj62.

A "Rodney flush" and the "party trick" fixed mine when she started slipping. Haven't had a problem since and it's been 6 years since all of the festivities.

I will be interested to see what you decide, I am in Knoxville and have an FJ-62 that also is in need of a rebuild. Trying to decide which route to take. I have not spoken to any transmission shops in the East Tennessee area that is very familiar with the A440.

Hi, I own 2 that have been rebuilt. Years later no problems. Your just looking for a good shop that's been in business for awhile and stands behind their work. Mike

I had mine rebuilt by ACC here in Atlanta (i think they technically outsourced it to a guy they trust), it was pricey, but they have great service and a parts warranty

My receipts totaled about $900 for the master kit with steels, bearings, torque converter, throttle cable, brake cleaner, filters, fluid, and misc. The FSM is very detailed. Shoot me a PM if you want to call and have a conversation about it.

Had mine rebuilt at an AAMCO shop in Virginia Beach, 5 year warranty, rebuilder had done 5 of them. Not cheap way to go but has done great since then. They had to send it out to another rebuilder at another AAMCO who had the experience.

Integrity transmission in Dallas can do them, ask for George. Mike

My receipts totaled about $900 for the master kit with steels, bearings, torque converter, throttle cable, brake cleaner, filters, fluid, and misc. The FSM is very detailed. Shoot me a PM if you want to call and have a conversation about it.

I talked to a buddy of mine that’s a transmission rebuilder at the shop I work at. I asked him if he would be interested in doing it (and I already knew the answer since he’s kinda lazy), but he said he didn’t want to. But, he can order the complete rebuild kit, torque converter and a transfer case rebuild kit for fairly cheap. Another real good friend and coworker of mine said he’d help me tackle it if I decided to go that way. He’s rebuilt plenty of transmissions over the years as well. We’re both seasoned mechanics and don’t really shy away from too much, unless it’s a German vehicle, lol. So I’m almost of the desicion of trying to tackle it myself, I just don’t like the thoughts of the downtime and the biggest thing is actually pulling the bohemeth outta there. I’ll update when I make a desicion for sure though. Thanks for all the suggestions.

A "Rodney flush" and the "party trick" fixed mine when she started slipping. Haven't had a problem since and it's been 6 years since all of the festivities.

I performed the Rodney flush over a year ago and it did nothing for mine. I think my second gear clutch pack is toast. Where I notice the problems the most is when it needs to downshift from 3rd to 2nd...it just doesn’t. It’ll try, but then go into neutral and I almost over rev the engine becuase it takes me by surprise. If I manually shift it into 2nd and let off the accelerator while it’s trying to downshift, then hit the gas again, it’ll catch and I’m good to go. I’ve also noticed that it upshifts through 3rd to 4th fairly quickly. And I’m assuming it’s 4th and not overdrive. So, that’s the extent of my transmission issues. Well, that and also when it’s cold, it takes forever to shift out of second.

Here's the thing..... you are going to have to remove the trans and T-case together. If your T-case has not been rebuilt or it has been a while it just makes sense to invest in a rebuild kit, it has to come apart any way. I think a trans from Georg makes a lot of sense. No gamble on how well the rebuild will hold up is where my thinking goes. Do it all at once and be done.

If you trust the re builder and it saves you coin, cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom