Auto transmission coolers. Spoke to Castrol today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Naa I never bothered looking for it after this

You are correct that it assists in warming up the tranny fluid on cold days. However, once it's up to temp, it does assist in cooling.

So the internal tranny cooler is actually both. The external one, however, is purely a cooler.

Do you have a temp gauge on the output side of the tranny? I ask because with very few exceptions (i.e. wheeling and working the converter) I have never had my tranny fluid temp higher or even close to the coolant temp. If it weren't for the heat exchanger in the radiator tranny temp would take a long time to warm up especially in cold climates.

FWIW, if you don't have any cooler (insert Spike's comment) the factory cooler would be a good addition if you're towing a trailer around the bush this summer.

Two important things to note in this thread.

1. HDJ81V's don't have auxiliary coolers. The 81 is JDM and Toyota don't put them on there in Japan.

2. Rodney in Australia said (quoted) you need not add another because there is one. HDJ80's in Australia do have auxiliary coolers, usually, put there by Toyota.

Don't confuse Australian model advice for what you need in an 81 from Japan.

Ok, trying to get a clear pic here...

Bozza, you mean there's another air-cooled hear exchager IN ADDITION to the heat exchanger in the bottom tank for HDJ80?

I added the largest aftermarket air-cooled tranny cooler i can find immmediately after getting my HDJ81V, and abandoned the bottom tank heat exchanger. Recently toying with the idea of adding fan to it. Hmmm...

Sky90

Yes, that is correct. In Japan, 81's have a line out to the tank in the bottom of the radiator and then a line straight back to the sump of the transmission. There is an operating (temp) equilibrium in this set up for the climate in Japan, especially in the arctic climates of northern Japan, where the engine and transmission assist each other at cold start.

But in Australia, which is hot and harsh, and where every second person is hauling something heavy over long distances, Mr Toyota fitted an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator on many of the models (but perhaps not all). These can often float around on ebay and the like because they need to be removed when people install an intercooler, usually a Safari, because the intercooler core takes up the whole cavity behind the grill.

An example of a cooler some people use to get around this is actually sold by Rodney himself (Wholesale Automatic Transmissions) which is thin enough (19mm) to fit between the stock radiator and the stock condensor cores. Its a PWR cooler I think, by the look of it. But you'd mount it in front of the rad if you weren't intercooler inhibited.

More info than you wanted. But, as I said, if you watch the second hand forums you might get one with mounts and brackets that will bolt straight on there, without have to pre fab anything.

Bozza, many thks for pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom