auto tranny loosing fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day from Australia guys,
Got a little problem with my 89 Hj-61. Seems the seal between the auto tranny and the transfer case has gone. I found the tranny low on fluid then checked the transfer case; got an eye full of tranny fluid pouring out the filler hole.

How hard would be to pull the split case down and replace this seal? I'm just an electrician not a mechanic. I usually do most of the mantainace on the car (ie. fluid changes, suspension upgrades, brakes, hub to hub packing) but feel this maybe over my head. Do you reckon it maybe better left to the pros for this kind of job?

Thanks for your advice,
Kev

It's not difficult, but it's a pretty big job if you've never done it before--lots of parts involved, etc. I'd say if you can afford to do it leisurely (have your truck out of comission for as long as you need to finish the job) and you're interested in doing it, then get a factory service manual and go for it. Probably the "hardest" part is dealing with pressing the bearings on and off the output shaft. But if you get stuck you can always ask for advice here...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Thanks for your help Timoss,
I've got a shop manual for the cruiser and will study it a bit. Our local mechanic (I live in a small country town in sthwest western australia) reckons it'll take him 4 or 5 hours to do it. I just thought it'd be a good learning experience (learn to get someone else to do it next time ;) ) I'll probably put a bearing kit thru the transfer case when in bits as well.

Cheers,
Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom