Auto RX with Rodney Flush?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife and I are working on our first cruiser and about to change the transmission fluid. Planning to switch her over to AMSOIL ATF so was planning to do the Rodney Flush as posted here, but... what about cleaning first with the auto RX product?

I checked the current fluid and it is pretty blackish and a little low so I have no idea when the last change was performed. I've read elsewhere about how flushing transmission fluid on a vehicle can be detrimental if the transmission hasn't been cared for properly. Something about varnish build up in there and that new fluid will take that off and get contaminated. Reading that applying auto rx in now prior to the flush and driving a few hundred miles will clean that varnish off and then flush out with the old fluid before adding the new fluid.

Thoughts or any experience in doing so with the 88 FJ? Thanks in advance

89 62, I did the Rodney Flush and the Party Trick when my transmission started slipping. If I remember, I did all of that when she had 230,000+ on the clock. It cured all of my problems. I didn't treat for any varnish buildup prior to changing the fluid. I went with Redline Synthetics and have been very pleased. HTH

My experience is that if you have a nasty uncared for tranny, the black nasty fluid being pushed through valves and seals over time degrades them. Now when you put new tranny fluid in it doesn’t build the same pressures because of degraded seals. This is worst case.

i have put the old fluid back in transmission after putting new in and it won’t pull. Really depends on how bad of shape it’s in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom