Auto locker options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys
Contemplating buying an auto locker for the rear of my 62, what are peoples opinions on those available? Anyone know of any specials going at the moment? Aussie, Lockright, Detroit? Are all these lockers identical? I do a reasonable amount of snow driving but as long as I leave the fron tunlocked I should be OK huh? I have 3.7s, full float. Thanks

you know, you haven't missed a beat on this project to date, so why not stay in keeping with the rest of the parts and go with an ARB Air Locker? at this point, you may as well. besides, you end up with an on-board air compressor to boot which the others you've mentioned can't claim as a selling point.

spend the ducats and go big :D

my 2¢,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I have noticed thet TJM have a "Air operated locker" called a Pro Locker. By the looks of it I think they may have bought the rights to the Macnamara diff locker See here http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/home.html

The release price looks very competitive to the ARB unit.

I have a lockright in my old beast as I didntwant to spend a lot of money on the old girl as the rust has almost got the best of her, and it works very well off road but makes shopping centre carparks a PITA.
I read on this board thet some say the aussie is better but I cant see how. We can,t buy the Aussie here is Aus as I think there must be some marketing arangement with aussie manufacture. It was almost half the price for me to import the lockright then buy the local "aussie locka" from the local mob.

Whatever you do it will make a HUGE difference off road.

If you want a cheep efficient solution go the Aussie Lockright EZlocker route. All are ok but the Aussie seems to be the best price in the US and support this board so repay the compliment.
If you have a good cruiser and can spend the bucks the air locker (ARB TJM/Macnamara) is definately the way to go especially in the front.

Its a lot like everything else You get what you pay for. Hope this helps

My dad got a brand new Detroit for $150 a couple of years ago (some local had collected parts to build a FJ40 based buggy, then went with Dana60/Corp14 combo). That locker is really impressive. It isnt real noticible onroad, every once in while he gets a chirp or a bang that you dont expect. And so far it has been great off road. They are pricey though...

I just installed a Lockright in the back of my 60, once I get it all back together I will see what I think of them. I know a guy that has them in a heep, front and rear for like 5yrs with out a hitch. He runs 35s and drives rather then trailers his truck.

Someday in the front I will go Aussie Locker unless I can afford a ARB.

dogboy2 said:
you know, you haven't missed a beat on this project to date, so why not stay in keeping with the rest of the parts and go with an ARB Air Locker? at this point, you may as well. besides, you end up with an on-board air compressor to boot which the others you've mentioned can't claim as a selling point.

spend the ducats and go big :D

my 2¢,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Thanks Guys
Dogboy, Id love to splash out and buy an ARB but they are just too dang expensive, you are right I have tried not to compromise anything on this project so far and it is bleeding me dry to finish it up, so ARB is out of the question. My plan is to get an autolocker for the rear and then one day when Im rich I'll splash out on an ARB (or maybe even one of these Mcnamara units) for the front, which should give me good offroad performance and should still be snowy road compatible. So the Aussie is the most streetable of all the autolockers? What happens if I step on the gas round a corner? How bad is it in 3 point turns?

I bought to my HJ-60 lockright, EZ-locker, detroit and ARB air locker.

Of course the best ARB. But no matter what is a habit issue. I broke the EZ locker and sold the lockright. When I bought the Detroit I thought, wouuu, so tough, I wans see if I can breack this, but noo .. ! the Detroit destroi my tires ..

When you get a turn with a auto locker you must pull out the throtle .. but think when is a big hill with a lots of curves .. ?

I have run Detroits in the rear of my 40 and now in my 60 and have no complaints with them. They are tough. I destroyed a Lock Rite in my 40 and then bought a Detroit, I would never run a Lock Rite in the rear again or an EZ locker.

Thanks Tapage, Toy, hmmmmm, so Detroits are the stongest, Aussies are the most streetable? Are the Detroits streetable?

LT1-62 said:
Thanks Tapage, Toy, hmmmmm, so Detroits are the stongest, Aussies are the most streetable? Are the Detroits streetable?

Yes, my dad has one in the rear of his FJ40 with a SM465. It has been very easy to live with back there now for two years. I dont think he has one lick of problems from it.

The Detroits are very streetable if you keep your foot out of them. They actually "ratchet" for turning when there is little or no power present. You can chirp them all day if you want to or keep them quiet as well. You will notice them driving though, there are clunks when it is coupling and uncoupling and you feel it in your back end giving you a little push now and then. Very managable if you know it is there and learn to drive with it, it could startle someone that isn't used to a locker though.

TOY350 said:
The Detroits are very streetable if you keep your foot out of them. They actually "ratchet" for turning when there is little or no power present. You can chirp them all day if you want to or keep them quiet as well. You will notice them driving though, there are clunks when it is coupling and uncoupling and you feel it in your back end giving you a little push now and then. Very managable if you know it is there and learn to drive with it, it could startle someone that isn't used to a locker though.

Thanks Garett
What did you pay for your Detroit? Is this a good price?
http://my4by.com/index.php?cPath=53_62_207&osCsid=35e8e2bf4299a52e81568a53f4fb89f9

That is an EZ Locker. A true Detroit Locker is most likely going to run a bit over $500. I paid $509.95 from Randy's I beleive. If that expense is too much I would look toward the Aussie locker. I have never ran one but it seems people here have had good luck with them. Usually you get what you pay for though.

if youve already got the full float rear why not go with a Toyota electric locker out of an 80 series, around $500 used. ive got em front and rear, well, the rears not installed yet, but i got em. youll have to get a custom axle shaft made, about $120 or so.

if your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

TOY350 said:
Very managable if you know it is there and learn to drive with it, it could startle someone that isn't used to a locker though.

Remember this phrase .. is the key .. !

Your TLC is your DD . ? your drive easy and soft . ?

Auburn makes a nice LSD, I have one in the front of my Cruiser.

let me just tell ya from experience that if you do a lot of driving in the snow, you will lose it in the snow sometime if you step on it too much with an auto locker. the opem diff locker i.e. the arb is really the best for your situation. spend the few extra bones on the arb. you won't be dissapointed. while your at it, go with 4.88's to get you back in the grove with those bigger meats.

I think the Auburn was about $450. It works great for my application. I'm not sure I would put one in the rear because they do wear out the clutches over time. I put one in the front of mine under the theory that the LSD would slip before I broke a birfield. I upgraded my birfields to Longs cryo-treated ones, but not the chromoly ones. Bobby Long says the cryo-treated ones are good up to 33" tires but when I explained I had 35's with an LSD and not a full locker he thought they should hold up fine. So far I haven't felt the LSD slip and it feels like a full locker up front. I did feel the down side of lockers in the snow last year, coming down hill my rig wanted to swap ends in the turns, just let off the throttle and it straightens right out but it still wasn't a good feeling. I had never felt that in my fully locked 40 I had in the snow every winter.

I'm not agree with a LSD and in my case never condere it as option. In my concept is spend your money. Go locked or go Open ... but sometimes, it depends, of the type of Off Road that you can do .. or want to do.

Think .. LSD = 500 USD or Detroit Locker = 550 USD :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom