Australian Parts to Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I know there is a strong cult following down-under for the 100 series. I'm heading down there in a few weeks. Are there any parts that I should purchase while there, that can't be had cheaply or easily state-side? I don't plan on shipping back a fuel tank, or anything quite that big, but if the price is right, I just might. Anything smaller and niche to Australia?

Thanks for your advice!

Wow that’s awesome!

Good call.

Wish I had the money to redo my leather seats to some factory cloth!

OEM Aux Fuel Tank

Take some OEM oil filters there. In Australia an OEM oil filter is Aus $22.50, while here is it US$4. I ship filters to my friend from here.. it is still a cheaper option for him. Same goes with fuel filter.

Take some OEM oil filters there. In Australia an OEM oil filter is Aus $22.50, while here is it US$4. I ship filters to my friend from here.. it is still a cheaper option for him. Same goes with fuel filter.
Diesel or gas?

Gasoline. The filter for Prado with 5VZFE uses cruiser oil filter. Finding OEM diesel filter is tough as there are no Diesel toyota's here. I am looking for a diesel engine oil filter for a hilux LN 106 and its about $34 from a toyota dealer!

does your friend send you stuff from there or is it crazy expansive shipping? I was looking at the Adventure Kings stuff like LED lights.etc...

does your friend send you stuff from there or is it crazy expansive shipping? I was looking at the Adventure Kings stuff like LED lights.etc...
That stuff belongs is the cheap and cheerful basket. Just so u know. Tho for the price the lights aren't so bad I guess.

I am not sure but looking at shipping from Australia to here on ebay, I can imagine it is going to be bit expensive. If you have a friend in Australia, get the package shipped to him and then he can ship it to you. Or ask the seller the exact shipping assuming shipper is a honest person.

Hi Folks,

I know there is a strong cult following down-under for the 100 series. I'm heading down there in a few weeks. Are there any parts that I should purchase while there, that can't be had cheaply or easily state-side? I don't plan on shipping back a fuel tank, or anything quite that big, but if the price is right, I just might. Anything smaller and niche to Australia?

Thanks for your advice!

This post gives some general context rather than specific answers to your question ....

Far be it from me to dissuade other dollars coming into Australia but it would be surprising if you could do better price-wise here, after correcting for exchange rates which currently wobble around 1 AUD = 0.95 CAD and around 1 AUD = 0.72 USD.

In part the local cost structure reflects our Federal Government’s appetite for things like a 10% Goods & Services Tax (GST) on most things plus Import Duties on other things. GST generally does not apply to exports and usually can be avoided or is refunded for personal purchases taken out of the country. However, East Coast Australia is a long way from West Coast Canada and West Coast USA – 7,800 miles Sydney to Vancouver and about 7,500 miles from Sydney to Los Angeles – so freight costs can be significant for both imports and exports.

Mr T says that about 10% of all Landcruisers ever made (all variants, all models but not including Lexus) arrived in Australia – not bad for a country with only about 25 million people (3% of the world’s population) on a land mass roughly the same size as continental USA excluding Alaska. Australia has been a ‘Toyota proving ground’ for many models. Consequently there is good Toyota support and a healthy after-market here. Our local big after-market names also trade in USA and maybe Canada (?) – ARB, TJM, KINGS Springs, Old Man Emu, Harrop (via Eaton) etc, etc -- so that gives visitors some idea what to expect.

Diesels are very popular in Australia for economy over long distances and with wide availability of fuel in remote places because diesel is the fuel of choice in the agricultural, mining and transport sectors. Every model of past and present Toyota diesel engine is found here – and there are Toyota Dealer workshops and Independent diesel workshops in most towns of any size.

See more about the “100 series” at
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations ("100 series")

See more about the “200 series” at
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations ("200 series")

The longstanding 2UZ-FE gasoline V8 engine is no longer offered here on the Landcruiser 200. The 5.7 litre 3UR-FE gasoline engine was never offered here on the “200 series”. Nowadays the 4.5 litre 1VD-FTV turbodiesel V8 is the only engine offered on a new “200 series” in Australia.

The Lexus LX470 came here only with the 2UZ-FE gasoline V8 engine. The LX470 is much rarer here due to significantly higher price and the absence of a diesel option. Many considered the much-misunderstood AHC system too complex for remote areas -- wrongly in my opinion provided well-informed maintenance was undertaken. See more about the LX470 in Australia at
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations ("Lexus LX470")

AHC was a rarity on Toyota "100 series" -- only available on the top-of-the-line LC100 Sahara, built late-2005 until mid-2007. AHC has not been fitted to any variant of the LC200 offered in Australia by Toyota, released in 2007 and continuing.

The 5.7 litre 3UR-FE gasoline V8 engine was offered in Australia only on the Lexus LX570 and that continues along with the more recent addition of a 4.5 litre 1VD-FTV turbodiesel V8 variant called the LX450d.

Locally available engine types are expected to change again throughout the Toyota LC range and eventually the Lexus LX range when the “300 series” is released in mid (?) 2021. Many local Toyotaphiles fear that this will mean the demise of 4.5 litre 1VD-FTV turbodiesel V8, perhaps in favour of V6 turbodiesel engines, maybe with higher specific power outputs and torques.

Information on travel and entry restrictions to Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic can be found at - Travel restrictions | COVID-19 and the border . The Borders are closed with some exceptions, with all entries requiring supervised 14-day quarantine on arrival.

Australian experience with COVID is reported here:
COVID-19 Map - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
Australia: WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard

Maybe some of this background helps and hopefully your visit succeeds!

Last edited:
40% US driver/AU Passenger 2nd row seat in tan leather. If you fly back through the US west coast I will fly to the airport where you're arriving, pay for the seat, pick it up from you, pay your baggage fee, and buy you a beer.

seat.jpg

Already done it, but would prefer the factory look to the carved up 60% I've got now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom