Australian Newbie doing a pre purchase guru check (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes got it Monday, drove 11000kms through the night home! a real baptism of fire, a few teething problems and drama as we got to know each other:

- Points failure 10 minutes out
- it has 35"brand new tyres on it but no lift! so it is rubbing, I have booked to get 33" BFG T/A to replace them fitted this week
- Light fuel leak noticed after fill up, fuel tank is under chassis and noticed a few drops over 5 to 10 minutes and the smell in the cabin was borderline unbearable
- No heater just AC and temp was down to about 2 to 4 degrees C overnight
- The concerning one is that the brand new spare came off unbeknown to me at some point in the night, sheared off the bolts on the spare hanger! praying nobody got hurt and it was on the back roads not the motorway
10.5 inch 33s will still rub with no lift, 9.5 inch wide 33s will not rub. With a 2.5 inch lift, 10.5 wide 33s won’t rub anymore

Congratulations on getting the truck.
Sounds like the trip home was… eventful?

Hopefully you are stoked on your purchase, the issues you describe would lead me (from a far) to believe that they won’t be your first. The tire could be a fluke, but the other issues lean towards an uneducated resto. This, is of course, my uneducated opinion.

If you’re happy, I’m super happy for you. It really does look sweet and hopefully you’ve only got a small list (for now) of things to punch out. At least you get to know her intimately, if you get my drift…

Ian
Thanks man, I kind of expected some challenges, but overall very happy so far. I forgot how much of a head turner they are and my kids love the school run now because of the attention! :rofl:

10.5 inch 33s will still rub with no lift, 9.5 inch wide 33s will not rub. With a 2.5 inch lift, 10.5 wide 33s won’t rub anymore
Thanks PV, I have ordered some Boss airbags also and am about to order a OME 2" lift kit (being in Australia supply is easier) will that be enough to clear the 33s?

Before you order OME, have a look at some other brands such as Dobinsons

Thanks man, I kind of expected some challenges, but overall very happy so far. I forgot how much of a head turner they are and my kids love the school run now because of the attention! :rofl:
Nice Jeep bro

Thanks @AussieHJCruza do they do ARB style kits or would I have to build a solution? just ordered the Boss bags to install with them
Yes they do a full 'kit' - shackles, pins, shocks, springs, U-Bolts etc.

Happy to price you up or Dobinsons will be able to tell you who the nearest dealer is.

We've been very happy with the quality of Dobinsons gear and would recommend it over the OME products.

Another option is putting a terrain tamer kit together, they do a 'comfort' rear spring that is about an inch longer eye-eye than most aftermarket springs which provides a better shackle angle and bit better ride quality.

* EDIT * Just checked, Dobinsons offer the longer rear spring as well.

Happy to price you up or Dobinsons will be able to tell you who the nearest dealer is.

We've been very happy with the quality of Dobinsons gear and would recommend it over the OME products.

Another option is putting a terrain tamer kit together, they do a 'comfort' front spring that is about an inch longer eye-eye than most aftermarket springs which provides a better shackle angle and bit better ride quality.
In this one post, actually, one sentence of one post, something clicked and I get leaf sprung suspension dynamics much better.

Thank you,
Seriously.

Another option is putting a terrain tamer kit together, they do a 'comfort' rear spring that is about an inch longer eye-eye than most aftermarket springs which provides a better shackle angle and bit better ride quality.

* EDIT * Just checked, Dobinsons offer the longer rear spring as well.
@AussieHJCruza if you have time that would be awesome, at least I will no a real expert as put together the parts list! there is a fitter here in Geelong that I just searched and coincidently they are the Jax tyre franchise fitting the BFGs so would be great the kill 2 birds with one stone as well as the install the Bags. I need it all done to get the RWC to get the VIC rego to get the plates to drive to ............................

@AussieHJCruza if you have time that would be awesome, at least I will no a real expert as put together the parts list! there is a fitter here in Geelong that I just searched and coincidently they are the Jax tyre franchise fitting the BFGs so would be great the kill 2 birds with one stone as well as the install the Bags. I need it all done to get the RWC to get the VIC rego to get the plates to drive to ............................
Comfort package sounds good for my ageing back too!

In this one post, actually, one sentence of one post, something clicked and I get leaf sprung suspension dynamics much better.

Thank you,
Seriously.
You and me both!

Last edited:
Am I over simplifying to assume these are 25mm leaf eyes?
PXL_20230525_022554431.jpg
PXL_20230525_022241704.jpg
PXL_20230524_232051078.jpg

If it's pre 07/80, they should be 25mm eyes (unless someone has messed with something which is quite possible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom