Australia Imports (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might be a stupid question....but how come there arnt any trucks being imported from Aussie???

would they be called ADM's?...ha ha ha

I would imagine cost would be an issue...Japan have the huge roll-on/roll-off automobile ships that don't cost too much to catch a ride in. Anything coming from Oz would probably have to be container shipped, which usually = $$$.

Stone said:
I would imagine cost would be an issue...Japan have the huge roll-on/roll-off automobile ships that don't cost too much to catch a ride in. Anything coming from Oz would probably have to be container shipped, which usually = $$$.

Was charged about $1000 Can + $100 for insurance - Japan - Vancouver, RO-RO
shipment.

GB

Not to mention:

Vast Majority of JDM Cruisers --> Lightly driven DD's or poseur toys
Vast Majority of Aussie Cruisers --> Used hard, put away wet!

Exiled said:
Not to mention:

Vast Majority of JDM Cruisers --> Lightly driven DD's or poseur toys
Vast Majority of Aussie Cruisers --> Used hard, put away wet!

Yup...main reason right there. This applies to parts too...axles, 3rds, trannies, engines...etc.

As a "general" rule. There is junk either side.

gb

Greg_B said:
Yup...main reason right there. This applies to parts too...axles, 3rds, trannies, engines...etc.

As a "general" rule. There is junk either side.

gb

Didn't mean to imply there wasn't, that's why it's so important to go through the proven vendors out there. Years ago, when the H55F craze first began in the US, I had a chance to see a couple of so-called "reman" units brought in by one of the bigger LC vendors. The things had about 1% of the Red Centre's bull dust in them, they were totally hammered and worn out.

My uneducated guess is that the crap coming out of Japan has more to do with poor or zero maintenance, whereas Aussie-specific crap tends to be heavily used (since a lot of LCs are work vehicles down under).

LOL. Most of the cruisers, patrols,Prado's, Jackeroos etc etc never leave the bitumen. Makes one wonder where these these statements have their base.A lot of the wagons are bought purely as a status symbol.Many people will not spend $55,000 +++ to $100,000 then take it into the bush to knock it around.

hill said:
This might be a stupid question....but how come there arnt any trucks being imported from Aussie???

i guess it depends on what you are looking for.

if you want a goofy looking 80 series, a MWB 70, or a high roof 60 with all the bling, i'd say JDM. they seem clean and the shipping $ to the NA west coast is not too bad.

remember, the import laws are much different in the US than in canada. ( re-read the thread, i see you are from cowtown)

but if you want a troopy, there is only one place to look, mate.;)

the shipping cost from oz is much higher, might be cheaper to the US than it is to canada.

hth's

crusty

Last edited:
bigbrowndog said:
LOL. Most of the cruisers, patrols,Prado's, Jackeroos etc etc never leave the bitumen. .

That may well be true but when the sheep fornicating dismantler finds out an item is going overseas, he makes a call to his brother in law at the cattle station to send him a date and a transmission.

lowenbrau said:
That may well be true but when the sheep fornicating dismantler finds out an item is going overseas, he makes a call to his brother in law at the cattle station to send him a date and a transmission.
LOL, No doubt speaking from experience about the sheep. You have the wrong country for sheep anyway. Nearly all Braham cross in the north. Would suggest you find out who a reputable seller is and buy from him they are there.:beer:

Aussie brethren, if you can forgive my Canadian brother's coarse language, I'll step in to defend in. Aussie dismantlers have a horrible reputation in the US on account of the dozens of Cruiserheads that have been royally screwed from across the pond...

"..'Ello? Yes, mate, we have H55F transmissions! You need one? I can put one on a pallet and have it ready for pick up....oh, you're overseas? A Yank, eh? Hold on..."

PAUSE

"...Hey, Charlie, think you can get the transmission out of Nubby's trayback, the one he just drove through the Gunbarrel Highway for the 50th time? Yes, I know it's held together by banana peels, but I got a Yank on the line! Just hit it with a spot of steam, mate, it it clean up just right!...."

"..Ello? Yes, I'm back! I got one for you, we just took it out of a low-mileage wagon that used to belong to a grandmother in Sidney who never left the city, only used it to go to church on Sundays and buy food for her cat...and how would you like to pay for this? Credit Card? Fair Dinkum!"

Almost every Australian I've ever met has been a straightforward, friendly, good-hearted fellow, which is pretty much the reputation that Aussies have in the US (we don't forget your continued support, in good times and bad, and we appreciate it). It's just that your dismantlers, for the most part, seem to be a little less than scrupulous....just like most of ours.

G'night and fair 'Cruisin', we'll let you get back to your thousands of cool Land Cruisers and us Yanks and Canucks will get back to our envious thoughts! :)

As for the...ahem....sheep fornication, I thought everyone knew that's the realm of Appalachia, the Canadian Maritimes, and all of New Zealand?! Just kidding!

hill said:

Wouldn't the steering wheel be on the wrong side for you???:confused: :beer: :beer: :beer:

RHD's are pretty common over here, all the JDM's are RHD. I will own one someday

here is my take on this:
first, thanks Bruce that made me laugh as did the replys...

when we pull up Land Cruiser in Oz on the web what are we LOOKING for? we are looking for the outback working truck. we want to pattern our rigs after the tough rigs and we find them there.

i agree with Browndog, i highly doubt that a bloke is going to spend $55000 on a truck to beat it up in the bush BUT that being said what kind of cruisers do we want from Oz? the troopies, the tray backs, and not the pretty city trucks we want the "outback special", the ones we can not get from Japan. for me, the biggest turn off is the friggin prices. go to their ebay and for sale lists and see what they are asking for a high milage unit add to that the cost of shipping and related costs and sorry i will pass on them.

Ozzies have way too much money...
;^)

cheers

Another reason I think is economics. A good vehicle in Oz is priced accordingly and in Japan even a good vehicle lose its value faster with age. A lot of Aussie stuff we are seeing here are the older, high mileage units, the ones that make economic sense to import.

Dave

bigbrowndog said:
LOL. Most of the cruisers, patrols,Prado's, Jackeroos etc etc never leave the bitumen. Makes one wonder where these these statements have their base.A lot of the wagons are bought purely as a status symbol.Many people will not spend $55,000 +++ to $100,000 then take it into the bush to knock it around.

Wow...sounds amazingly like North America! :D

Gold Boy: That figure sounds about right for the RO/RO. I think mine was about $667 USD at the time, and exchange was much higher. Container costs from Oz would be much higher though.

Stone said:
Gold Boy: That figure sounds about right for the RO/RO. I think mine was about $667 USD at the time, and exchange was much higher. Container costs from Oz would be much higher though.

Stone

K-Line?

GB

Aussie cruiser said:
Wouldn't the steering wheel be on the wrong side for you???:confused: :beer: :beer: :beer:

These days all JDM's here are converted to LHD before release. It's the law here. Teams of mechanics make the conversions and the only new part on the LC, best I can see, is the dashboard which is pretty much impossible to save in the conversion. Parts of the steering are cut and re-welded, steering box is moved to the otherside and wires are cut and re spliced. Looks and sounds messy, but my LC gives me no reason to complain though I did solder all the splices.

I think Australia is close enough to USA costs in labor to make importing an imported item from them difficult cost wise.

Kalawang

Eric Winkworth said:
I don't even think you can go offroad in japan can you?

lol

Yes, there are some off road parks in Japan. I gather trucks that frequent those parks are rode hard and put away wet.

There is a reason I put "general" as a rule. There are going to be exceptions to the good and and bad on both sides.

Typically though, due to the costs of running an older vehicle, the emission standards in the urban areas, and the simply the cost of driving a vehicle in Japan...chances are you will find more units as a general rule that have lower kms, less wear, and winchs mounted on the front that have never been spooled off, that are able to be imported to Canada...(but there are exceptions).

Any of the older stuff in Oz that is going to be in a dismantlers that we (North Americans) would consider a bolt-in, or not have the dreaded "E" in the engine name, will typically be high mileage (H55F, FF 60 or 40 axles, etc). Ya'll got a lot of land there too, so mileage racks up in anything that can be exported...same as in Canada.

I guess mine was the long winded version of this post by Beanz. I would add to include used parts to...not just vehicles.

Thank the Ozzies for the vastness of aftermarket repair kits, add-ons, suspensions, and bolt-ons for LC's...

Beanz said:
Another reason I think is economics. A good vehicle in Oz is priced accordingly and in Japan even a good vehicle lose its value faster with age. A lot of Aussie stuff we are seeing here are the older, high mileage units, the ones that make economic sense to import. Dave

Micheal was just on Oz over Dec last year. Be interesting to hear his take.

Velcro and sheep?...who said velcro :D

gb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom