For Sale Austin, TX: 1997 Lexus LX450 w/ blown engine (1 Viewer)

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
you do realize that the first link u posted is a running driving white one with the headgasket already done "asking" $5500 ??? And you do realize it may likely end up going for closer to $4500??

so why on earth would you be starting in the $5k range with your broke one?

Last edited:
you do realize that the first link u posted is a running driving white one with the headgasket already done "asking" $5500 ??? And you do realize it may likely end up going for closer to $4500??

so why on earth would you be starting in the $5k range with your broke one?

IT HAS 365K MILES

(that's ignoring the multitude of other things, like mine having $4k of additional maintenance the white one doesn't have.)

YoYoHo

BJZ43 for Me !
SILVER Star
Why are you so hard on this guy? He can ask $5 or $5000. If you don't like the asking price make an offer or move on. Ragging his ass does not benefit the site.
Have a look at bugsnbikes other posts it is just his thing , guess he is an old VW guy and it is just how they roll

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
- So given the last 80 i purchased for $600.... running with bent axle. (Replacement axle $180@ pic n pull) 160k miles on engine. (Link in sig -plasma cutter and ducktape)

- i keep passign up on running driving ones for $3k as i really just need a chassis drivetrain for my next project. Most of those disappear from craigs on the first day, Last one was in Napa. A few weeks earlier one with 185k miles in SF. Went for 3500 in sub 2hrs.

- im stalking another 160k miler via a friends father in law- hes @$4k now- but it may go to craigs if i dont end up making a reasonable offer in the $3500 area......which im contemplating but i really am looking for one alot cheaper with a worse body so i can deconstruct it. Its temtping tho with that low of mileage/running fine/good maintenance and current smog.....but i will wait it out and see if i end up getting it for $3k.

- i passed on another local one in my town and let a local mudder/ buddy grab it. It was a few blocks from his house and i had stalked it for a year. It only had 180k ish and just needed some cleanup - he got it for $2200- runs and drives fine. And he just took it on a big trip after fixing a few things and getting it smogged.
That one never made it to craigs - local for sale sign on it that i was stalking.

california is a buyers market right now for 80s......mainly due to our $4.00+ per gallon gas prices. every time gas prices cross the magic $80+ a tank to fill..........60s/80s/100series all flood the market real cheap.

REKCUT

SILVER Star
What does it matter the possible price if no engine issues? Probably in line with other vehicles listed here in same condition. He stated a price that was not set in stone. Work your way down from there.

It matters as I was trying to move him towards a price that I felt was more inline with the value of the truck so that I could justify the offer i was going to make. Instead of just saying your to high I has hoped to get him to come to an agreement that he was asking what a running one was worth. Unfortunately @aggiepaintrain beat me to the punch and then folks like you start chiming in. If I want to sell something then I try and justify the price and vise versa if Im trying to buy something I would try examples to get me to that end.

This is why I avoided posting it on here for a few months. I priced it at $5k everywhere else to scare off the low ballers. I post it here and can't put a different price, so I make it abundantly clear that the list price is not meant to reflect what I think the value is...specifically to try to avoid this stupid s***.

Unfortunately this seller seems to feel that any ideas on price other than his are "stupid s***" so I'll just move on and wait for the fire he has promised.

It matters as I was trying to move him towards a price that I felt was more inline with the value of the truck so that I could justify the offer i was going to make. Instead of just saying your to high I has hoped to get him to come to an agreement that he was asking what a running one was worth. Unfortunately @aggiepaintrain beat me to the punch and then folks like you start chiming in. If I want to sell something then I try and justify the price and vise versa if Im trying to buy something I would try examples to get me to that end.
Or you could have just made the offer...like a normal adult would have done when they saw someone going out of their way to highlight the negotiability of the price. You keep talking as if the price I listed actually reflects the price I'm willing to take.

No one has actually provided examples showing my valuation to be bad. I have provided examples showing my valuation to be accurate. This is pretty humorous given that you're now saying that's what you'd do...

I has hoped to get him to come to an agreement that he was asking what a running one was worth.

To "come to an agreement" there must first be a disagreement. Also mine *is* running. Regardless, you can't find them in this condition, running, for $5k. If you could, I wouldn't have spent nine months driving all over the state looking.

The best part about this is that not a single person has provided any objective evidence to show that their valuation is better than mine. I feel like if you're going to talk s*** about someone else's price, you should at least be prepared to come up with some examples...after all, that is how market pricing works.

good luck with your Landrover.....
So how do these reflect your assessment of value? My truck is in better condition or has lower miles than all of these in your area. My lowest price, plus the cost of a full engine rebuild, would still put you under these.

$1k for the front locked axle, $1k for the rear locked axle, $1k for the maintenance assuming receipts are provided.

$3,000 is a fair offer for both parties. But we dont live in a fair world, do we?

$1k for the front locked axle, $1k for the rear locked axle, $1k for the maintenance assuming receipts are provided.

$3,000 is a fair offer for both parties. But we dont live in a fair world, do we?
What front and rear locked axles are you referring to?

Whoops! thought this one had locked axles. Yeah... I think a guy made an $1800 offer in one of the first few posts.. You should take it!
How do you justify an $1800 valuation?

Also, as I think I noted...I've already turned down higher offers.

How much does everyone think the truck would be worth if I went ahead and got the head gasket done and it was running fine?

Not remotely. I already made it clear that the price I listed is not the lowest price, even going so far as to double emphasize the price negotiability. So I basically have three choices:

1. Decline to state any price.
2. Blatantly lie by just adding the cost of an engine replacement to my "list" price and state that I believe that's the value.
3. State a value that implicitly lowers the upper bound that was established by my "list" price.

The only logical choice is #1, because it doesn't actually provide any additional information to the other side that can be used to guess what the lower bound is. To put it another way, I made it clear that I don't believe that the listed price corresponds to the value of the truck; all my response does is reiterate that exact point without providing any additional usable information.
Dont use logic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom