SOLD Austin, TX: 1977 FJ40 Freeborn Red Patina (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Red
After much contemplation, I have decided to sell my 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Land Cruiser. I purchased this truck in June of 2019 in Longview, TX. I looked over a year for this particular truck as a clean starting point for my build. It was almost entirely in original condition, including the paint, when I purchased it. Since that time I have been building the truck and doing tasteful mods to keep the heritage of the vehicle true.

The previous owner rebuilt the motor, reupholstered the original seats, added new door seals, and coated the floor of the interior.

Since ownership I have done the following modifications:

• Full OME 2.5" Light Duty Suspension Lift Including Shocks, Inversion Shackles, and Steering Stabilizer
  • Brand New Toyota H55F 5-Speed Conversion
  • 4:1 Toyota Split Transfer Case with Correct T-Case Emergency Brake
  • Tom Woods Driveshafts
  • 4.56:1 Diff Gears with ARB Air Lockers Front and Rear
  • New Toyota 15" Wheels Powdercoated White
  • BFGoodrich Mud Terrain Tires 33" x 10.5" x 15" (Including Spare)
  • Complete Japanese 555 Tie Rod End Kit
  • Full "Short" Birfield Conversion to Aisin Hubs
  • ARB Dual On-Board Air Compressor with Rear Bumper Tank
  • Holley Sniper EFI Conversion w/ Holley In-Tank Fuel Pump Bulkhead Kit
  • Dakota Digital RTX "Retro" digital gauge cluster
  • Ron Davis Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • DUI Performance GM "One Wire" Full Electronic Distributor
  • DUI Performance "Live Wires" Spark Plug Wires
  • Mean Green Performance GM-style Alternator
  • 4Plus Custom H55F Crossmember and Skid Plate
  • Custom 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust w/ Solo Performance "Stealth" Muffler and TPI Ceramic Coated Header
  • Stainless Trays SS Battery Tray
  • New Front and Rear Bumpers
  • Tons of Miscellaneous Wiring, Plumbing, Fuel, and Routing work to make the truck extra clean

262-C9-B52-E146-4-A99-B1-C8-739-D2-A00-D2-DA.jpg

C3-EE1-DEC-A1-F9-4-F91-993-D-7-D38931-DFB38.jpg

F9592-CCD-6-EE1-4-D1-C-980-D-540-B1-D9-FF779.jpg

The Good:
  • The truck is awesome and everything works. It will drive all day and crawl over anything in low range.
  • The Holley Sniper EFI setup is really slick. The truck starts right up and runs smooth with lots of power.
  • I have diagnosed all of the coolant and fuel leaks as well as the miscellaneous squeaking from the drivetrain.
  • The truck is in incredible original condition and the patina'd paint is aweseome.
The Bad:
  • No power steering
  • No A/C
  • The fancy powder coated valve cover seeps oil. I have repaired all other oil leaks and I have the original valve cover if you want to swap.
  • Some rust at the rear corners of the truck where the top meets the tub, and at the hardtop cowl
  • It needs a headliner

The weather in Central Texas is terrible right now, but I will get professional photos and video as soon as it clears up. For now, feel free to check out my build thread for more info and photos: Builds - 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1977-freeborn-red-fj40-patina-build.1146933/

I am asking $35,000 for the truck, but I am open to serious offers.

Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
Wow, hate seeing you part with this truck. Should make some perspective buyer really happy! Have really enjoyed your build thread!

:beer: Ramon

Wow, hate seeing you part with this truck. Should make some perspective buyer really happy! Have really enjoyed your build thread!

:beer: Ramon
Thank you for the kind words! I hope it goes to a good home with someone who will appreciate it!

Last edited:
One of the favorite 40 builds on Mud! Looks to be built to enjoy!

Good luck with the sale, sure it will end up where appreciated! I better stop looking now, this one is too tempting!

Such a nice build. I’ve enjoyed following along as you’ve progressed through it. Very tasteful upgrades throughout. This will be a great rig for the new owner. I’m secretly hoping you hang on to this one though 😅

B-e-a-utiful..... you did all the right stuff!
GLWS.... or better than that - GLWNS 😉

I hope to get some professional photos done next week, but today I had a chance to pull the Land Cruiser out of the garage and shoot some video.

I wanted to showcase how well the truck crawls with the H55F transmission, 4.56 diffs, and 4:1 low transfer case. My driveway is very steep, and the truck will simply idle up (or down) the incline.

In the video below you can listen at the beginning and hear the truck at idle. I simply release the clutch and let the truck start crawling. I never touch the throttle pedal. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Someone make an offer on this thing or it's going on Bring A Trailer.
Interested. Being a new member my direct messages are getting flagged.

Yes ‘new member’... buy this so I’ll quit thinking about selling one of my children to do so! 🤣

Apologies guys, I have been incredibly busy at work. And the weather has not been cooperative. As soon as I get some free time and decent sunshine, I will detail the truck, do a walk-around video, and have some professional photos taken.

Thank you all for your patience.

Last edited:
Will doesn’t need my help but I have driven his truck, crawled all over and under it, and I think I have even driven it up his alpine steep driveway.

It is an awesome rig and he has done such a damn fine job putting it together. Whoever buys this is going to have a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom