Austin Body Shop - Sad News :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Sad news, but, I think the tanks ok though. A lady over on Duval/Mopac area decided to make a UTURN while in the right lane today. Had the wife and two little ones with me at the time. Everyone was fine and I think my kids enjoyed seeing fireman and policeman more than anything. Airbags didn't deploy, a lot of the stuff on the front is toast, however, won't know the full extent until I get it in somewhere to have someone take a look. Anyone have any good recommendations on first steps and who to really take a good look at it? I have been to LCSoA a couple times for things, but, wanted to see if there is someone else I should be looking at around town that will give me an even better assessment. Thanks in advance.

8mFNZbs9rChxk0xMbv10ZVAI5kNPPjxqKJ1pWYffOGNRp_zEW5R6YmAATlphmTZTLs_JtEUgQvpzYkIKWE8fZwRvodDsSgzm9hnpat92HF7Kjc4Y8_Ru7Ek0TU91uDMQW58--PjJGs_nQxqGlAlNNvHB4GUkiF23vwBusUwSfuNKHL9LHqorUicpaxe6QaoTXVLe48Enb_HLrdhQ51NzDVTbKknTchYnCoPUEqksmHQ092C2y6J1WoFK7felnBVMmY34kH1pZGOwsq-zbsXrH4vDpk_046n08tBABqOJnC7p2mqrUfbbceG5-W32ZLvGcrnTmUdYFiIpf9MkMRFWf42a3QSzT3MsC4tSmTi6CsF84-QQwebqcaWpC3LDcA-_7Stq9ChatOYiCBLZtUah6QITrZsnKRb--mZWQxszGT3dvqiJj-6k3v-LxOeQo4wiHgMhfzYEG3bI6ulGXgYfz_wFr6UxMYceg842L0AQPWtWFHZLY6d1ws5QHIDXFtfMk8LXbd-HLi-NlU6cVnvBuTvmCqvesmTKfsVOsmBJUHnrRRqF5kj0dVx860NGwuObnROK7aIB2lF53vGg2JurkrCtvGIrsAluB_kSbEmW3PgZK5NT2fO2yEt5Ol2K2dyuevMg8q9r9_MZNh_0ku635BXdRh1ioXyOzneJZPoxAVsN4ZB9heyorKwX=w1735-h1273-no

_1L50mZmU080t5tMbHRa90S8IkrFnqmq6OZ154BlsUa6yBcvHuWXqlEIq5tNu1RkIKjdGGPYQ6VvgbIpbBrHUq4Wq1IZ0KBFEJMGu8zZU4sM5M0ZwpVJmmUN2fCHqcPpsNUkLdpBjm4gmst_e0DJqyvqNDk3LMHyVtTUQjmmXYmzu3eg5tcJPkeX3LYEa8cZ_AkdmjPfBcajMcQdvmZz5t39AUgU3pS4X0JGjp33-q3NydIDA-ErePE0es21JdUXVnBFrnnS4D6U6x0Sz-zyvKWTNpniLOaPI2yL-yfhhjjszImQOq9z4iEPuc10HEvxBsXXVH9IS-MnChXiNVqViU8ccSqHmzJI8t_ZNqK2fnJAM3-ZbQilAVxSmwjIp6XiAvkLg_9f_5Rpmep0MbHzf2Up8WggpQ0ScAoEH4Qh2U4pGNv49abnqk--BBjOOd_Ej2EA-lmxajVJvgIvnCTHlmROpZlZODEmxZeiPD-rZ45UScj1K_A3b1sWO4fvyado-pXQGZxdctbPGOAS-5FcezcMA3ReKajlXsDs0H0elxHNZtTnybpEgnM43QhNrbI2qv1VPFQuWKvu7r9QQCfROu4FZDZCssDjjYFeAKdTSEOr-YKTP3zvgaAY5xkGh1qLGrdzDopxx95L9Rp_YZ4_z2v_U0h5yUsw2RE1TPwgiGqLwGJANO1mDpZ7=w1730-h1298-no

Damn, sorry that happened, glad everyone is ok, get the $ and use the bumper part of that for a new shiny metal bumper.....What ins did she have....pic of ps side fender?

If find a good body shop like Berli's to get an assessment. Time for a bumper upgrade!
Yyeeeuuupppppp. Already shipping for bumpers. Plus finally get a HID retrofit I've been wanting but haven't pulled the trigger on. @Austin Hot Shoe Geico. They called me within an hour. I do have a pic of PS. I am extremely nervous though it's worse that I'm hoping. But, trying to stay positive.

F2F3IGVMGeZihEIsyA30IN0-6TTgI17VeHUocudC1U3RQIZsytuWgLpFWzhHb07as0z0irmxFfiYD9OPcS66aTpw9jHG2i_Xx8535QjD7pgYpNRpwfcvyjL9VJ9q_0gDMNlkGbzsFVD_2FzVxmJf4_uvJ65Orb2PYGxGHIO2CI9qwB0BZaE0H-t2qJsEXR1vZyHxuge5LAQ2GK5MzmZ4O0EiewtuwnVfeqOhCMUfiH5O1ts8ZtMIagcZzsaZnUpBFWYbTGiEochwnwgl0W81LTFE-0Hg2OUpAnS7FYoeKR0N2vAlKcH_HeQUjtv6MM95AxpnyCmbpRNOAe4FTOpayAMG_ibDzKPJTlhQbGQ8o_4RwmTk4FzlllZsxRN0HHRYlhE2gpCxbizlM_5OLBmJgKFV8ZxqO3qCNleN8FYdgMoXYuFef6quky0dKDBmhXbNutXl9Qv1kxNMP-EM4VernZUa1__LquuSqbc56L81048lXeF5amKvc8UU57jqTkoylOoH8swVp_BaVVCqOCmxdmrHOFkhe5NXUgAE_qX6p2MsX5kL4T69HigI66aD_Z6dUYwOaiT5Fwity9dQLb2FSRphyYPliX56d4n6gmGUpZGWfwwoobWEMsS0hP3jyOySck9uz8L-xnc4t4RHQVvLsfTB0mqfUZRt1gxKV9VPsvUTIq6H0xopgrit=w1718-h1289-no

JhMypFq3SO5CuSWg1Fp7kc2i965a1jd-ZeTYKhfSOIMOnLfexgqv0q6hp47d-y1VIWglYDQMT5r2OmSO7Kwv2QHqheXpb27OkGAmq_ktJT5jtzH8mrr_PVgJ-9hNYDkv2xhcUHNXbuGc60TbRvRIGUDW2pjwj_xkdcbzRQ3Dtw8OIIBBMbXy6uwtUS35gdu0a1UxeorP6tdKxrOKfmvjQpXuZlCOI7yylqN21RlJtwuFwYrRXI52qwqANlypm5oe4S07dbPMsOVbegjGeCpS-K1cC1xihXXdNc0484IXyhezjTNHuzUXFDBlCx1-6hmQl2J2cLYTPFMmhp01XHxCbq4gidH-UiknYvwasLTe1tcOZg_fQXRGjXTZnmNoauta-AxPrzWLnJLDyWKlEFDPPWUGg8ZCUIFcNYavNsqvE-dbrI_6STT-dQWyvPNzS-FdurMtGVkBJA3U-4zLFAaV_OmKWLTRtGnBEOOTKQ5nxsnWAwEwjox7khzYkkp52Vb64o3doLvQbi22SOPrA5uK7w5j6dn_5v1sb33Kmtn8j5iFNmFoF-2WamZ3oY_OH7ZsyONyDvASKm6lKBbwEpmhvS-GS9iQJz-17t3hAQvk3DpzCpc44Ju3CQ3a-l1l3fFvYcidC0x3LDXqJltoCVwWI5HafovB-WjPXIh_Bc9be6zH_ogvwJneCzhW=w1718-h1289-no

Make sure that the Geico guys check the suspension/steering components on that side. Hopefully, your frame horn isn't too messed up.

Good advice. I'll update this post once I've had someone look over it.

That's a close call for a total lost.
I had a similar damage to my 100.
IMG_20171003_195542_271.jpg

That's a close call for a total lost.
I had a similar damage to my 100.
View attachment 2132772
Wew. Yeah. Yours looks a little worse. Honestly, by the time my vehicle actually made contact with hers, we were moving pretty slow. I know we won't know until we know for sure, but, I can't see much of anything outside hood/bumper/lights. The radiator doesn't look touched, wheels/steering/internal all looked fine. But, I hear you. I am not going to feel good until I get the all clear. Adjustor is coming out in the morning.

They might total it due to age. Buy it back, and repair it.
Just hoping the total check isn't a joke. KBB has these things at like $4k. Mine was in 8/10 condition, just had timing belt and steering rack done, etc. Zero rust. BFG AT with about 10k miles on them.

Update:

Not a total loss, and, they are going to fix it so good news there. Now need to work with the shop to not put on a bumper and let me get an order in for an aftermarket.

Second Update:

GEICO changed their mind. They wrote me a check at my house at 10 in the morning. Around noon, called, and said they changed their mind and are going to total it. I haven't accepted anything yet. Trying to figure out my options and possible speak with a lawyer on Monday. The car is running fine. I understand there is risk that there could be additional damage, but, GEICO is jerking me around with this and will not pay me the vehicles value. I spent a year searching for the right car. In the last year after flying to Idaho to pick this one up, I have done the timing belt, steering rack, brakes and rotors, all kinds of flushes, BFG tires, new wheels, etc. And GEICO only wants to give me $7k for the vehicle, or $5k for me to keep it and fix it myself. Even though they wrote me a check earlier in the morning for $6,300 for estimated damages. So, now I am going to be in the NEGATIVE by possibly several thousand dollars if I want to fix it on my own.

The issue lies with comparables. We all know if the 100 is in great condition, then it's most likely being bought and sold privately, so, they don't register those values. Even the supervisor tried to tell me there was a 100 series in Houston that looked "immaculate" for $6900. ummmmm...ok...let me see it then. I found it and by MUD standards was an incredibly risky buy. Probably flooded (in which she got mad about when I asked), and no pics of the under carriage. When they pulled the "comparables", there was only 3 that showed in the state. Not a great sample size.

Anyways, no idea whats next, but, have to continue to look at my options. If anyone has advice, or has gone through this before, I'd appreciate it.

Sucks to hear that. There have been several threads on MUD with similar stories. Do a search and you'll find some good info.

Second Update:

GEICO changed their mind. They wrote me a check at my house at 10 in the morning. Around noon, called, and said they changed their mind and are going to total it. I haven't accepted anything yet. Trying to figure out my options and possible speak with a lawyer on Monday. The car is running fine. I understand there is risk that there could be additional damage, but, GEICO is jerking me around with this and will not pay me the vehicles value. I spent a year searching for the right car. In the last year after flying to Idaho to pick this one up, I have done the timing belt, steering rack, brakes and rotors, all kinds of flushes, BFG tires, new wheels, etc. And GEICO only wants to give me $7k for the vehicle, or $5k for me to keep it and fix it myself. Even though they wrote me a check earlier in the morning for $6,300 for estimated damages. So, now I am going to be in the NEGATIVE by possibly several thousand dollars if I want to fix it on my own.

The issue lies with comparables. We all know if the 100 is in great condition, then it's most likely being bought and sold privately, so, they don't register those values. Even the supervisor tried to tell me there was a 100 series in Houston that looked "immaculate" for $6900. ummmmm...ok...let me see it then. I found it and by MUD standards was an incredibly risky buy. Probably flooded (in which she got mad about when I asked), and no pics of the under carriage. When they pulled the "comparables", there was only 3 that showed in the state. Not a great sample size.

Anyways, no idea whats next, but, have to continue to look at my options. If anyone has advice, or has gone through this before, I'd appreciate it.

Well, at this point, my advice won't help you with that vehicle, but perhaps the next. If you're worried about getting back what the vehicle is worth, in case of an accident, buy a stated value policy. Shop around for one that doesn't limit you to driving it once a year, and only to the car show at your neighbor's house. With a stated value policy, if the insurance company wants to total your vehicle, they owe you what the stated value is, which goes a long way towards equalizing the two parties involved, you and the insurance company. I've always had a stated value policy on my 40, as there is no way a regular one would pay me what it's worth, should the vehicle be in an accident.

Last edited:
Well, at this point, my advice won't help you with that vehicle, bit perhaps the next. If you're worried about getting back what the vehicle is worth, in case of an accident, buy a stated value policy. Shop around for one that doesn't limit you to driving it once a year, and only to the car show at your neighbor's house. With a stated value policy, if the insurance company wants to toal your vehicle, they owe you what the stated value is, which goes a long way towards equalizing the two parties involved, you and the insurance company. I've always had a stated value policy on my 40, as there is no way a regular one would pay me what it's worth, should the vehicle be in an accident.

Thank you, great advice moving forward. 100% next time.

Second Update:

Sorry to hear about your issues with Geico... had similar issues with a Honda Accord, very frustrating. They wouldn't budge.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Geico... had similar issues with a Honda Accord, very frustrating. They wouldn't budge.
Well. We're on to a new step. I have pulled a handful of comps. Some from Texas, some from outside the state. I have also sent in maintenance records from the past 18 months. (Timing Belt, Water Pump, Steering Rack, New Brakes and Rotors, 5 BFG All Terrain, New Wheels, etc.) I need them to raise my value by $1,000. In Texas, they will total your car, no questions asked, if the repair estimate is over 80% their perceived value. If you can get it under 80%, then, insurance will fix your car. Right now, they "value" my car at $6,900. Which is such a punch to the gut when you see comparable vehicles around the country being sold for $9,000-$12,000. The repair estimate was $6,317. Meaning, I need them to value my car at about $7,900 to get it repaired. I don't expect much, it's easier for them to just total it, cut a check, and move on. It's just unfortunate I get nailed by their driver, yet I am the one going to be out thousands of dollars.

No time to mourn right now though. Slow and steady. Just keep going with my options, starting with the easiest, and working my way up.

To put an end to this thread...

After much back and forth with GEICO...they finally admitted that the vehicle was a bit of a special exception and agreed to fix my car. My one piece of advice to people is don't give up. Pull comps, call dealerships to help, speak to supervisors, just stick with it and you may come out the winner as well. I am going to write GEICO a letter later this week and thank them. They listened and put up with me and I am thankful for it.

IMG_20191213_085053.jpg

After much back and forth with GEICO...they finally admitted that the vehicle was a bit of a special exception and agreed to fix my car. My one piece of advice to people is don't give up. Pull comps, call dealerships to help, speak to supervisors, just stick with it and you may come out the winner as well. I am going to write GEICO a letter later this week and thank them. They listened and put up with me and I am thankful for it.

View attachment 2155552
Glad to hear it worked out for you

View attachment 2155552

Never give up! I'm running into a similar, (but smaller), issue with Progressive. I picked up a rock chip with my Tundra about a month ago that quickly turned into a crack. In 2018, Toyota put the TSS system into all their vehicles, with all the safety features; some of them enabled by a camera that rides behind the windshield. Toyota and Honda, (among others, I'm sure), strongly advocate replacing windshields with only OEM glass, not aftermarket, so that the safety features still work. Is this a safety related policy, or simply so Toyota can sell more windshields? Personally, IDGAF, I have insurance to put my vehicle back in the condition it was in before the incident, and it was OEM.

Of course, Progressive is refusing to approve OEM, telling me that they only authorize that for 2019-2020 models. WTF? I have a truck that is barely 2 years old, so the hell with your safety concerns, Mr. Daniel. We'll only pay the price for an aftermarket windshield, which after your $499 deductible and the reduced price we're paying the shop, isn't diddly-squat. I guess Flo is getting expensive for them, so they have to make it up somewhere.

I've escalated it to their customer care, which I found on a pretty good website, not only for Progressive, but many other companies:

Clicky

We'll see what they have to say. If I end up eating most of the price of a new OEM windshield, I'll also be moving our cars and motorcycles to a new insurer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom