Aussies - ADR/OEM roll bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any leads on an OEM or ADR approved roll bar in Australia?
The local guy who does the pit inspections is quite happy to pass the car sans roof as long as I have an ADR approved/OEM roll bar, finding one is proving difficult.
I could put it through with the hardtop on, but it's not in the best shape and for something that will be getting removed within an hour of it passing the pits, it seems finding a decent roll bar is the better option.

I met a welder/panel beater in Greenbank, Qld recently that will fab one up for my BJ74 if I want. It will be ADR approved. The OEM 40 bar is a very simple design, so I'm sure he could copy it. Where are you?

Damn. You're in Exmouth. Big aerial out that way huh.

But no rollbars.

To get an ADR compliance plate it needs to be a mass produced commercial roll bar. Think of all the aftermarket bullbars out there - not many I know of have a compliance plate. This does not mean that they are not ADR compliant. Only ones I know of are the ROPS bars for mine spec vehicles - but being a 40, your 35 years too late:)
Basically, as with all "mods" nowadays you have to get an engineer to sign off that it complies. Gets a bit trickier when you mount seat belts to it (which you will need to if you remove the hard top).
It will end up an expensive exercise - at least $500-$1000 on top of the roll bar cost....

OEM bars are expensive as they are OEM and people have been looking out for them for a while. Expect to pay $1000 for the privilage. Just make sure it's a genuine one, I was sold a 40 with a 'genuine' factory roll bar. Turned out it was a piece of steam pipe welded more times than I have fingers, looked rubbish and I couldn't do anything with it apart from cut it up for pieces of steel to use on other things.

Ken at Eureka, 03-9706-8229 I think, does them with the seatbelt part in there thats been approved by an engineer. I have one in my 40 and so do heaps of other guys. Here's a pic of my 40 several years ago with the roll cage recently put in.

He still charges a few $ for it and then there's transport to the far side of the country on top of that.

DSCN1225.jpg

The other question to ask is what sort of factory markings are on OEM and where are they. Otherwise how could you distinguish between an OEM and aftermarket? If you can't distinguish them, how would the pit inspector?

I have a fibreglass sports tub 40. Qld Trans gave me the design required for my roll bar which was required for it to get rego'd, it had to be from 2" thick walled steel tub (not water pipe) and it had to have a 20mm non flammable foam covering over the tubing, which is hard to get and is not cheap.

Yeah but here in WA I suspect the requirements would be different.
I also love in the middle of nowhere so engineers etc aren't easy to come by.
A ready made option is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom