Aussie vs Spartan vs Lock-Right Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lockers are next on my list of big things to do; I'm only looking to put in a rear locker. The lunchbox-style really appeals to me, because it's cheap, easy to install, and simple. I've seen individual threads about all 3 of these on here, but never a thread comparing them. I know they all work and do basically the same thing, but would anyone with experience with them care to chime in and talk about some of the differences between them? I am leaning towards the Spartan right now as it's supposed to be beefier, but apparently can be noisy.

They all work the same, so they all can be noisy. They will be more noisy if you don’t adjust your driving style turning around corners. The significant difference is that the Spartan does not use the side gear washer, so there is no way to adjust the clearance and it is a steel on steel bearing surface, but because it does’t turn fast, it is not a significant problem.

Your pick.

I've used the aussie and the lock-right. Honestly can't tell the difference looking at them. Same thing as far as I can tell. I will say the lockright was quieter, but it was used in a heavier rig running thicker gear oil, so that is likely the reason for the reduced noise.

I have used lock-rights and Spartans in several rigs over the years. I like the spartan a little better. Slightly easier to install, and seemed slightly smoother in turns.
But I would install either again, buying which ever I got the better deal on.

I have a Spartan in the rear and hardly notice it. You just have to get used to not using throttle in turns and such but it’s not a problem at all. It’s Worth the off-road benefit for the price.

I've had a spartan in an 80 before and I also barely even noticed it there. Maybe had a handful of times it made any noise and that was only in tight parking lots. They are great.

They're basically the same. I did some research on mine when I was installing and I liked the Spartan because it was a little bit easier installation.

I like my spartan, put in the back of an awd fzj80. do I regret it? no, I'll put it in again if I had a second chance. I've run it for a year and a half. When they say "change your driving style" they mean don't drive like a getaway driver. I daily my 80, in dry, snow, ice, and offroad the one time a year I want actually use the 4lo.

I have used lock-rights and Spartans in several rigs over the years. I like the spartan a little better. Slightly easier to install, and seemed slightly smoother in turns.
But I would install either again, buying which ever I got the better deal on.
I have a Spartan in the rear and hardly notice it. You just have to get used to not using throttle in turns and such but it’s not a problem at all. It’s Worth the off-road benefit for the price.
I've had a spartan in an 80 before and I also barely even noticed it there. Maybe had a handful of times it made any noise and that was only in tight parking lots. They are great.
They're basically the same. I did some research on mine when I was installing and I liked the Spartan because it was a little bit easier installation.

I like my spartan, put in the back of an awd fzj80. do I regret it? no, I'll put it in again if I had a second chance. I've run it for a year and a half. When they say "change your driving style" they mean don't drive like a getaway driver. I daily my 80, in dry, snow, ice, and offroad the one time a year I want actually use the 4lo.

Well it sounds like Spartan is the way to go then.

I ran a Spartan in the rear diff for a few years. At the time I was looking for a bit more traction off road while keeping reasonable manners on road (I rarely drive in snow). The Spartan was a great bang for the buck. Only took it out because I went with front and rear lockers and also re-geared. Still have it in the garage if you're interested.

Going through multiple thread because im planning on an auto locker in the rear. I have a heavy rig. Raptor lined, 37s, 5.29 geared. I think people are saying the Spartan is for light rigs, running 35s and 4.88 gears. Should I be looking more in the Lock Right locker direction, or will Spartan be ok, or do you suggest a different locker?

In my research phase on this 8 months or so back I settled on a Harrop ELocker. I'd have a good look at that one if you haven't already.
I have, and it was on the list. Looked at YouTube and a guy said (and showed) when he rolled backyard on a climb to get a better line, the elocker disengaged.

Then I was looking at a $1000 price tag for elockers to a ~$350 for lunchbox lockers.

Going through multiple thread because im planning on an auto locker in the rear. I have a heavy rig. Raptor lined, 37s, 5.29 geared. I think people are saying the Spartan is for light rigs, running 35s and 4.88 gears. Should I be looking more in the Lock Right locker direction, or will Spartan be ok, or do you suggest a different locker?
They are all the same. And all have the same weakness of retaining the original weak carrier and crosspin. With your setup you really should be doing a carrier replacement locker like Detroit, Grizzly, ARB, or Harrop

They are all the same. And all have the same weakness of retaining the original weak carrier and crosspin. With your setup you really should be doing a carrier replacement locker like Detroit, Grizzly, ARB, or Harrop
Kool, thanks for the info. I will looking into Elockers.

Kool, thanks for the info. I will looking into Elockers.

Throw an ARB or Harrop in the rear and you'd be really happy with it. Detroit and Grizzly are nice too but all will end up costing you about the same in the end so might as well go selectable.

This is true

The 9.5 inch rear carrier is not particularly weak, especially in comparison to the high pinion 8 inch carrier in front.

This is true

The 9.5 inch rear carrier is not particularly weak, especially in comparison to the high pinion 8 inch carrier in front.

I’ve only broken four cross pins, and the carrier also broke at the same time twice.

with a heavy 80, supercharger, 37’s, and after meeting him this weekend I also know he’s not going to pull it apart on the trail :flipoff2: I can’t recommend he run a lunchbox in good faith

Last edited:
Your experience is different than mine. I have never seen a carrier fail even with high HP V8 swaps. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom