Australian-style Off-Road Radio Antennas (GMRS & CB & Ham) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone tell me the type of adapter (round collar-looking item) that I need to connect the antenna to a Midland 275? There was a little part that came with the antenna that I can see will be needed for connecting the antenna to the radio. Somehow I managed to separate it from the radio and antenna. I need to buy a new one fast to connect the radio. I'm clueless about what the name is or how to order one.

Can someone tell me the type of adapter (round collar-looking item) that I need to connect the antenna to a Midland 275? There was a little part that came with the antenna that I can see will be needed for connecting the antenna to the radio. Somehow I managed to separate it from the radio and antenna. I need to buy a new one fast to connect the radio. I'm clueless about what the name is or how to order one.

We use an FME connector in order to help route through firewalls, engine bays, et cetera. The little adapter was an FME:259 connector. You could find another here (link below) if you want, else we can help with that too if needed.

Amazon product ASIN B06XPWDX11

Alamosa Antenna 42" GMRS is ~6.6dBi installed. Now on to running the cable through the firewall.

View attachment 2633267

Off topic, but is that the factory arial mount on the ARB? Don't you have to cut those off to raise the hood on the LX?

Off topic, but is that the factory arial mount on the ARB? Don't you have to cut those off to raise the hood on the LX?

Yep.. On an ARB. Using the factory arial tabs. There is a grill mod the can be done for an LX to shift backward at the bottom to clear the tabs. The antenna was installed after I had already made the grill mod for the bumper. Since I don't open the hood very often, I just slightly tilt the antenna forward to clear the crome piece on the grill. Someday when I've run out of things to do, I might make the tilt the grill a bit further to clear the antena base spring.

1626008164133.png

1626008231610.png

Put a spacer under the front bracket foot to futther change the tilt on the LX grill.

1626008301879.png

Has anyone mounted one of these antenna on a Dissent Bumper? What brackets did you use?
My own 100 has a Dissent front and of course an antenna on it :) I don't use a bracket. I did take a 9/16" bit and just expandjust a small bit the top open slot and bolted directly to it.. I know that is hard to visualize, but I'll go take a couple of pics and update this post here shortly!

Update (with wider angle on lens);

F0222E3B-47D3-4531-B9A3-8321BFD9401F.jpeg

8EBF083B-6ADA-4A98-B3A6-154B6329FF62.jpeg

Last edited:
My own 100 has a Dissent front and of course an antenna on it :) I don't use a bracket. I did take a 9/16" bit and just expandjust a small bit the top open slot and bolted directly to it.. I know that is hard to visualize, but I'll go take a couple of pics and update this post here shortly!
Thanks

Yep.. On an ARB. Using the factory arial tabs. There is a grill mod the can be done for an LX to shift backward at the bottom to clear the tabs. The antenna was installed after I had already made the grill mod for the bumper. Since I don't open the hood very often, I just slightly tilt the antenna forward to clear the crome piece on the grill. Someday when I've run out of things to do, I might make the tilt the grill a bit further to clear the antena base spring.

View attachment 2727832

View attachment 2727833

Put a spacer under the front bracket foot to futther change the tilt on the LX grill.

View attachment 2727834

This is great, thanks for sharing! Gonna give that a try before I lop them off when my bumper gets here.

Update (with wider angle on lens);

View attachment 2729636

View attachment 2729637
I have the Bull bar on my dissent bumper so that won’t work

I have the antenna mounted on a power coated ARB bumper.

Do I need to remove any of the powder coat for the antenna to be grounded to the metal part of the bumper?

I have the antenna mounted on a power coated ARB bumper.

Do I need to remove any of the powder coat for the antenna to be grounded to the metal part of the bumper?

Having a direct and no resistance contact does not hurt at all. That said the bullbar and ultimately frame and body will act as an RF counterpoise without removing the powder coating.

I am a Ham, as well as a GMRS licensee, but CB (despite some shortcomings) is a very common band. As such, today we are releasing a CB version as well. It is important to note that 27MHz has a wavelength that well exceeds the physical length of these antennas, but appropriately bottom-loading we've been able to get a fairly performant antenna for the CB band! :) You still get all the goodness of the radome design.

Hello, How much for that antenna in the picture and where can I get one? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom