Aussie lunchbox locker in rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
Good day all,

Ive been looking around at lockers and for the price of a Lunchbox I say Why not give it a try. But before I purchase id like to know if anyone runs them in the rear and what are the pros and cons.

A lot of the pros and cons seem to be about the front.

Does it change the driving of the vehicle much on road and in corners?

Thanks
Dan

I have an Aussie locker in the rear of my FJ55, and except for the occasional clicking, I've been very happy with it. It has been very nice having it when wheeling.

My LJ77 has a limited slip rear and the Aussie cannot be installed. Instead I had it installed in the front.

I have yet to wheel the LJ77 seriously but the Aussie is not noticable on the road.

Thanks for the reply.

What about on road and for daily driving? And also does it wear tires faster?

Daily driving depends on your driving style. My 55 is not a daily driver. However, I have to drive 3 to 5 hrs to get to the wheeling events I attend. I have not noticed any excessive wear on my tires. It does get driven around town and it takes my garbage to the recycle station 2 to 3 times a month.

I do drive the LJ more frequently but as the front is unlocked, there is no notice of the Aussie.

Did you check to see if your rear axle is a limited slip differential? Mine had a LSD sticker on it because it requires a different lubricant.

Not that it should make a difference, I do run Mud terrain tires.

Oh mine is definitely open dif.

Thanks for the reply

I had a very good customer service rep at Torqmasters:

cora@torqmasters.com

Cora helped to make sure I had the correct locker for my LJ.

Dan,
I have an Aussie locker installed in my BJ70 which is normally my daily driver. I went that way because it is a cost effective and robust solution. As Joe said, occasional noise from the rear is the only indicator that it is there. However, there have been a couple times, through years of driving, where the locker engaged in a very sharp turn on wet pavement where I felt it. Because it was a very sharp turn, I was already going slow in these instances so it did not cause an issue. But I took note that it did happen, so I keep that in mind when I am driving in potentially slick conditions. Maybe I am being paranoid, but being conscientious may help me be prepared if a surprise happens.

Good luck. I think a lunch box locker will serve you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom